• Register
  • Help

Topic: BMI, ASCAP, Copyright, Creative Commons, etc.

Share/Bookmark

BMI, ASCAP, Copyright, Creative Commons, etc.

Greetings everyone! I'm about to take my first steps into game audio and soundtrack work. I'm still working pro bono - which I really enjoy. It expands my skillset, lets me work on a variety of projects and with different working styles, etc.

Anyway, as I continue this work and post more demos on my portfolio page, I begin to wonder what is the best way for me to protect my work...

Do any of you in the industry have any feedback as to how I should license my songs and/or how to protect them from unauthorized use (to the degree that one can protect intellectual property these days)?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Re: BMI, ASCAP, Copyright, Creative Commons, etc.

You might want to join GANG www.audiogang.org to learn the latest trends and info on protecting your IP.

Aside from that, just fill out and mail a copyright form to the library of congress (along with a check) and that will protect you pretty well.

ASCAP, SEASAC and BMI do not apply when it comes to videogames (yet).
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Thanks, midphase! I'll check out audiogang for sure!

Regarding copyright - should I submit a separate entry for each and every song/piece I create? Or is there a way to submit several at a time - even though they may not all be associated with the same project?

Save yourself some cash for videogames and simply submit one form per project (accompanied with an audio CD). Call it a 'compilation" or "collection" and you'll be fine. Considering that you can fit up to 80 minutes of music on a CD, you can be very cost conscious and package several projects onto one single big "collection" copyright.

That way you'll save enough pennies to be able to run out and pick up GTA: San Andreas today!!!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum