• Register
  • Help

Topic: OK, I NEVER knew this!!!

Share/Bookmark

Smile OK, I NEVER knew this!!!

Harold Arlen

Composer (Music Score)/Songwriter: Born February 15, 1905 - Buffalo, NY

The Wizard of OZ.

I am researching and searching for any information on the music and stumbled on a review in the New York Times. There, scrolling down the credits I see in this mans name and the above information. As a Buffalonian all my miserable life, I found an immediate sense of pride. Checking with Tams Witmark, yes indeed Harold Arlen, wow!
    Now, I wonder if his family still resides in Western New York and if they just might have...ehem.
    I never knew this! I guess it's just like the old saying, "Liver and Loin says the Butcher!" < Is that right? Ha, who cares!
    Styxx

Re: OK, I NEVER knew this!!!

Hey that's cool! My home town's only claim to fame is that Jeb the sheriff broke up a fight at the local watering whole and shot himself in the foot. We talked about it for weeks. My home town was the kind of place where a rock falls off a log and the whole town is in an uproar.

Seriously, the only people of notoriety from my home town are usually serial killers. Now you know why I have such a sunny disposition.

Cool Re: OK, I NEVER knew this!!!

All right, I am adding to my own thread again.
    This is exciting to me! I've found more information on this man. I've done this musical once before how could I have missed such an important detail one that hits so close to home! I found the man's home web page with information and a biography of his life and compositions. How stupid and blind was I when I first put this musical on some ten years ago!! This man wrote songs for so many big named stars and movies and musicals how did I ever miss this!

OK, who knew this and didn't tell me? Come on, you can make me feel like an ~~~! <sorry, I meant to edit that but was interrupted.
    Check this info I copied from the New York Times site;

Stormy Weather: The Music Of Harold Arlen

2003 - Canada
    Larry Weinstein's Stormy Weather: The Music of Harold Arlen is about the final years of the great songwriter. As a heavily medicated, elderly Arlen (Paul Soles) goes about his days with his nurse, he remembers his life's accomplishments and imagines performances of some of his most well known songs. Among the singers who appear performing in the film are Rufus Wainwright, Jimmy Scott, and Sandra Bernhard. This film was screened at the Victoria Film Festival. ~ Perry Seibert, All Movie Guide
    Styxx

More -

Composer, arranger, pianist and vocalist Harold Arlen was born Hyman Arluck, February 15, 1905, in Buffalo, New York, the son of a cantor. He showed exceptional musical talent in childhood. He dropped out of school and formed a band, and made a living primarily as an arranger and a performer. He began concentrating on composition in the late 1920s. From the late 1920s to the mid 1930s, Arlen wrote many songs, which were featured in shows at Harlem's Cotton Club. In the early 1930s, he began writing music for Broadway musicals and Hollywood musicals. Chances are you will know more than one of them, though you never knew who wrote them.

From “America’s great unknown songwriter Harold Arlen”
    By Frank Ferriano
    University of Wisconsin, Whitewater
    Styxx

Uh, that's great, but let's not forget that Buffalo was also the home of O.J. Simpson. Sorry... had to do a reality check!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I went to school at UB...loved the area. Loved the snow. Even loved love canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Uh, that's great, but let's not forget that Buffalo was also the home of O.J. Simpson. Sorry... had to do a reality check!
    Look everybody his location no longer is Beeffalo New York. Richland, WA? Never heoid of it. Now, I suppose you just too good for us frozen fish here in New Ghost Town New York. What? You didn't hear? They finally admitted Buffalo will become the first modern day Ghost town since everyone is leaving to more profitable and hospitable parts of this great country. Well, the word "great" is much debatable since a certain wrong turn on the way to better world relations.
    Speaking of OJ, he was at the last home game of the Bills. You should have heard the crowd when he was acknowledged.

BTW - How is everything going for you and yours?
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: OK, I NEVER knew this!!!

This is cool, I never knew this. What's also interesting is Arlen's score for OZ seems to illustrate some strong affection for the music of Zoltán Kodály! Compare some of the pieces from OZ to those in the Háry János Suite.

SteveMitchell

[QUOTE=Styxx]

"OK, who knew this and didn't tell me?"

Well shucks, anybody who can remember Leonard Berstein as a young pianist probably knew!!

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Well, the word "great" is much debatable since a certain wrong turn on the way to better world relations.
    Um. (meant in the Vonnegut-ian sense)

Speaking of OJ, he was at the last home game of the Bills. You should have heard the crowd when he was acknowledged.
    I can imagine. Hey, at least everyone had something else to boo at than the Bills!

BTW - How is everything going for you and yours?
    Going splendidly. I'm getting a lot done and working on a few different projects, some of which involve GPO in some way. Hope you and yours are doing just swimmingly.

Shaz (not buyin' da hype)
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Go Back to forum