• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Dedicated Server...

Share/Bookmark

OT: Dedicated Server...

Guys,

Do any of you lease a dedicated server? I like the options that this will give me since I won't have to worry about HD space or thruput. How hard is the transition? I'm staying with the same people, just moving to a dedicated server. Does 69 bucks a month sound high? That's for 60 gigs of space and like a terrabyte of thruput.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: OT: Dedicated Server...

Nobody has a dedicated server???

My wife. Does that count? Sorry, I couldn't resist....
    Styxx

LOL!!!

Post Re: OT: Dedicated Server...

That sounds about right, Joseph, though if you have not checked out 1&1 http://www.1and1.com I would do so. They have both Windows and Linux, $59 gives you 500GB of data transfer a month. That is not as much as you have with your service, I realize, I'd compare quality of service between the two companies. If you are comfortable with the QOS of your provider, I think you have a good deal.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

$69/month sounds OK for that.

How much bandwidth/month are you using now if I may ask?

My advise is to only get a Windows host if you absolutely need .NET otherwise go for a linux/unix host (yes I am a UNIX geek).
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

I have a fedora Linux dedicated server from AIT.com for $39.99 / month. 40G storage and 1 tera bandwidth. It has been working out very well for me so far.

I haven't felt the need to go to a dedicated server just yet, but I'm getting close, and after a bit of research I've decided that pan.com looks like the best bet for me.

Part of the reason is that I'm already a member, providing that whole "don't have to move" inertia thing<G>...

But their pricing is competitive, and their additional services are pretty cool. Their basic service includes:
    - Dedicated World Wide Web Site Address
    - 200 Megabytes of Space
    - DIF anti-piracy software pre-installed
    - Unmetered traffic
    - Web-based Forum (public or private)
    - FTP, SSH, and Telnet access
    - Streaming Audio support
    - JAVA and ShockWave support
    - CGI Support and Server-Side Includes (SSI)

I really wish they supported "php", a unix based server side language, but that's really the only thing missing for me.

And since it is the "Performing Artist's Netork", I figure I'll trip across lot's of kindred spirits!

I don't have any financial interest, but I've know the founder for a long time, and I think he is a good guy, so I am probably
    biased... but you might want to check them out at:
    www.pan.com

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Guys,

Do any of you lease a dedicated server? I like the options that this will give me since I won't have to worry about HD space or thruput. How hard is the transition? I'm staying with the same people, just moving to a dedicated server. Does 69 bucks a month sound high? That's for 60 gigs of space and like a terrabyte of thruput.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    That's not bad at all for a dedicated server. Who do you use?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

IPowerWeb. They've been super reliable and pretty good to me.

Go Back to forum