• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Advice to Solve Latency Problem with Giga

Share/Bookmark

Need Advice to Solve Latency Problem with Giga

I\'m using a PC made by Soundchaser for Giga. I\'m a Mac user, and know nothing about hunting down problems on a PC.

I have the Dakota/Montana card for the PC\'s midi interface, and use it for a digital out back into Pro Tools. All sequencing is done in Pro Tools on the Mac and the PC just runs Giga. It\'s using 98SE, and what I\'m finding are delays of up to 20 milliseconds. Where do I go to start searching out the cause of this? The only other midi device in the room is a Roland 5080, which is not having any delay problems. Only the Giga.

Where do I begin to search here? thanks for any help...

Re: Need Advice to Solve Latency Problem with Giga

I can make no garantees but the first thing to check on is the buffer size in the Dakota control panel. (should be in the lower right corner of the PC screen) It\'s probably set to the ideal position wich Sound Chaser would know the proper setting. If it\'s set too high, you get some extra latency, if it\'s too low, you get audio glitches. I think 64 or 128, one of those is the ideal setting. Also, hopefully the GigaDaw is using a fast MIDI connection other than USB. USB can introduce some latency. Also, the entire path from keyboard, to mac sequencer, to PC, then the audio path out back into pro tools might add a bit to the latency. Even in the best case, from keyboard to speaker, you will probably be at 9 ms or so. Internally, the Giga platform could deliver 3 ms but is limited by the various hardware that the signal has to go through. Check in with the sound chaser people if this doesn\'t help.
    Good luck
    Dave

Re: Need Advice to Solve Latency Problem with Giga

Originally posted by David Govett:
    I can make no garantees but the first thing to check on is the buffer size in the Dakota control panel. (should be in the lower right corner of the PC screen) It\'s probably set to the ideal position wich Sound Chaser would know the proper setting. If it\'s set too high, you get some extra latency, if it\'s too low, you get audio glitches. I think 64 or 128, one of those is the ideal setting. Also, hopefully the GigaDaw is using a fast MIDI connection other than USB. USB can introduce some latency. Also, the entire path from keyboard, to mac sequencer, to PC, then the audio path out back into pro tools might add a bit to the latency. Even in the best case, from keyboard to speaker, you will probably be at 9 ms or so. Internally, the Giga platform could deliver 3 ms but is limited by the various hardware that the signal has to go through. Check in with the sound chaser people if this doesn\'t help.
    Good luck
    Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks David.

The latency I notice is not from keyboard to speaker....I\'m in Pro Tools, and the audio waveform is a good 20+ seconds off the midi waveform below it. It\'s bad....)

It is a USB Mac interface, but I don\'t know what choice I have. The new Digi interface with time stamping, which I want to get, is only USB, as most are. I\'m not sure what options I have there. I will check out the other areas you mentioned, though a lot of folks up here say that something MUST be wrong because they aren\'t gettting near that latency. Again, my Roland 5080 (which I realize is not streaming samples) is nowhere near that kind of latency. I haven\'t even measured it, but I never feel any lag with it. I end up shifting all the audio files done with Giga ahead 20 or more milliseconds and it just seems to be out of hand....I\'ll post if and when I solve the problem. Thanks again for your ideas!

Go Back to forum