• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Ready for Prime Time

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Talking Ready for Prime Time

    If I'm not mistaken, I think GPO is just about ready for mainstream exposure...20/20, Newsweek, Time...that kind of thing. I think a lot of people are unaware of how far 'computer music' has come in the last few years. In fact, the very term 'computer music' would probably be met by scorn by a lot of serious, mainstream classical listeners. Does Mr. G have a PR person/agency? Would one be useful/desireable?

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    I have often thought of this from time to time. I dunt know if it would be a good idea or if it would commercialize it to too much of an extent. Good question to ponder. Maybe we can get Oprah to spotlight it on one of her shows! Nope, the only way would for GPO to start some sort of controversy! Hey, whatever.....

    Tell you my gut feeling, he doesn't need it. I have a feeling this is bigger than he realizes at the moment. Then again, we could always redo the Jackie Gleason show and use GPO for the sound track!
    Styxx

  3. #3

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    I can imagine Oprah telling everybody to look under their seats (for some reason they always wait for the go-ahead) and they all find a copy of GPO! And then they all scream!

    It's nice to be part of a community that's not too big though. I know a lot of GPO users don't visit the forums as often, but if there were TV commericals for GPO (or infomercials) then it might too crowded, you know?

    But I certainly wish the best for GPO, it has the potential to succeed in the mainstream. I recommend it to everybody.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  4. #4

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I can imagine Oprah telling everybody to look under their seats (for some reason they always wait for the go-ahead) and they all find a copy of GPO! And then they all scream!
    You know, Sean, the fact that you know this much about Oprah scares me a little...

    By the way, enjoyed the March of the Canterbury Tales on your site!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  5. #5

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    You know, Sean, the fact that you know this much about Oprah scares me a little...
    I can't help it, after that time they all got cars it was all of the news . . . boy it would be funny if they had only gotten keys! Man, that's a trick somebody with a kid should try this Christmas. Give them a little box with a key inside, and when they open it they'll think they got a car! But no, just a key.

    Thanks for visiting the site, glad you enjoyed it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  6. #6

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    But no, just a key.
    Oooh, you're mean! It's a bag of switches for you this Christmas!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  7. #7
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I can imagine Oprah telling everybody to look under their seats (for some reason they always wait for the go-ahead) and they all find a copy of GPO! And then they all scream!
    I doubt if even half of the predominately all female audience would even know what to do with it yet alone scream. But then again, if it came with keys to a new car, or voucher for a make over then you would hear screams.
    Styxx

  8. #8

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    I'm serious. And I'm not talking about 'commercializing it' per se. I'm talking about getting the news out to the so-called 'lay public'...people who would be astounded by the sound and general capabilities of this mid-priced, highly useable non-technical computer software.

    Just a thought.

  9. #9

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    And I'm not talking about 'commercializing it' per se.
    Back when I was 19, referring to music as "commercial" was a well known insult. My best friend of 20 years (now gone to that smoky jazz lounge in the sky) was my mentor not so much in how to play music, but in how to conduct myself as a professional. In other words, he slapped me around until some common sense seeped into my skull. "Commercial" was one of the things he always pounced on - related to commerce, it means you're making money with something. He would continually remind me that if you're not making money with your music, you're working a day job, not living the life of a professional musician. My idealistic pronouncements weren't buying my burgers.

    Commercial can also mean something intended for the mass market. I certainly can't speak for Gary here, but it seems to me that the entire point of selling GPO for such an affordable price is to get it to the masses who could previously not afford something like this. So, I'm thinking that along with the fact that he needs to eat as much as the rest of us do, I'd say that making GPO a huge commercial success would be a Good Thing - for Gary, for the world of musicians it would help, and for us. Why have a small group of great friends when you can have an entire nation of them?

    Anyway, I know this was your point as well, but just couldn't help passing along what a brother passed along to me. Money is not evil, even if you're a musician! In fact, especially if you're a musician. Who needs it more than us?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  10. #10

    Re: Ready for Prime Time

    Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. And just to clarify...my idea is to get the word out re: GPO without costly commercials. I'm thinking that Gary and his minions have a great story to tell and news organizations are always looking for a good story. Thus the suggestion of using Public Relations (rather than advertsing per se) to get the word out to organizations like 20/20, Dateline, 60 minutes, Time, Newsweek, etc.

    In my experience, public relations can be a very inexpensive way to leverage an unknown, but highly desireable commodity.

    Again, just a thought.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •