• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Newer Intel CPU/Asus Motherboards

Share/Bookmark

Newer Intel CPU/Asus Motherboards

Has anyone built any GS3 systems with the newer P4/LGA775 CPUs with Asus boards (P5GD2, P5GD1, P5GDC)...? Problems? Sheer bliss? Just wondering.

Re: Newer Intel CPU/Asus Motherboards

Searching a little bit, I found limited non-G3 machine reviews. Mostly positive. Said the CPU runs on the hotter side. DDR2 didn't provide much of a gain. But the NCQ Maxtor/Seagate reviews were mostly positive. One said they were louder drives.

But I'd still love to hear from someone who's using it for G3.

Oh great. I do my research and figure out exactly what I want in my new machine and then y'all throw this in!!! It looks like the prices are comparable to the socket 478 motherboards and processors. Anybody have any other opinions? I was all set on the ASUS p4c800 e Deluxe, etc., etc. I wonder if these new ones are going to be a great advantage.

Well, for better or worse, I ordered a P5GD2 and an NCQ drive. The ignorant novice that I am, It'll probably take me a while to get it built, configured, installed and used...but I'll report what I can about stability.

I'm doing new research, but does anyone know if the other features on the newer boards are better than the p4c 800e deluxe also?

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Oh great. I do my research and figure out exactly what I want in my new machine and then y'all throw this in!!! It looks like the prices are comparable to the socket 478 motherboards and processors. Anybody have any other opinions? I was all set on the ASUS p4c800 e Deluxe, etc., etc. I wonder if these new ones are going to be a great advantage.
    I built a machine in 2 months ago using the P4C800e dlx with 2 GB RAM. There are always new things coming around the corner. For the latest technology you pay a premium price and only you can decide whether you want to jump onboard the new bandwagon or not. New technology may not imply it's superior - yet. For example the new DDR2 memory will be superior to DDR - eventually. But it might be a good idea to get a DDR2 board it you want to upgrade the RAM in the future.

It's a balance betwen price - performance, your willingness to test new technology, your future upgrading plans etc. I will not upgrade my new machine at all, but buy a new one 3-4 years from now, getting the 64bit advantages with 64bit OS, better RAM, better disks, ... . To me that makes sense, but to you it might not be the best path.

just my 0.02...

/Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Allmoge, Thanks, I was just complaining anyway. I was just interested in the fact that it seems that that new technology didn't seem to be all that expensive compared to the p4c800e deluxe and processors for them. I have no desire to test the new technologies and gamble, but I thought the prices looked good for being new technology, unless I'm missing something.

I priced it out and there wasn't that big a difference. I thought the drive specs might be a good thing...and might give me a little extra room to grow. It was just an uneducated guess.

Right now there is little difference performance wise between DDR and DDR2. Actually latency is high on DDR2.. for now.. but they run cooler and have a higher data rate..

Funny thing is a P4 3.2Ghz 540 (Socket T) version is cheaper than Prescott/Northwood counterpart. This is of course more than made up by the added cost of DDR2 and PCI-e cards but if I was getting a new P4 based system I would seriously think about building one around the newer chipset simply due to better upgrade path.

I've already built a few for some happy clients (aka composers).

As for NCQ SATA drives I've so far tried Seagate's Barracuda 7200.7 (160GB). Load times in G3 are shockingly fast on a hyperthreaded system. The big benefit is with large orchestrations containing dozens of big instruments (this on a workstation w/ 2GB DDR2). Noise is low on Barracudas but these things can get hottt under heavy load so cooling is important.

Gulliver...if these things run hotter...if I've got a OS drive and a Barracuda NCQ drive for samples, do you think I'd need more than one case fan?

Go Back to forum