• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaPulse ... is it really worth it ?

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

GigaPulse ... is it really worth it ?

(POSTED TTHIS ON THE VSL FORUM, BUT THOUGHT I'D POST HERE TOO, TO SEE WHAT OPINIONS OTHER PEOPLE HAD ABOUT GIGAPULSE ... WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT.)

I bought Orchestra and so enjoy GigaPulse now, and it sounds great.

But I do question my decision to pay the extra for GigaPulse.

- it comes with a limited number of impulses IMO (compared to Waves IR1 or Space Designer). It has been argued that each impulse contains upto 18 impulse placements and 7 microphone positions giving a vast number of combinations ... yes this is true ... but they are still the same space.
    - there is little word of anyone else developing impulses for it.
    - I don't suspect they will be free when they are released. Indeed I expect them to be prohibitivley expensive.

- WAVES have released a light version of IR1, that ships with the same impulses as the full version.
    - Purchase also entitles access to a web site where more impulses canbe downloaded as when then are recorded by Waves.
    - IR1 and IRL are VST ... they can be hosted in either your DAW or GS3 (negating the need for a GSIF2 soundcard).

- EVERY version of GS comes with GigaPulse SP ... the playback version ... so if developers do bring out instruments making use of GigaPulse you will still be able to access the special features and access to GigaPulse for these instruments.

Given what I know now ... I would have opted for the Ensemble version and spent $400 (or less) on the Waves IRL (the lite version)

Then again it might be worth spending an additional $400 for the Waves impulses which can be imported into GigaPulse ... though with some difficulty it has to be said , until TASCAM produce a wizard that will simplify the process.

Re: GigaPulse ... is it really worth it ?

GigaPulse:

Use it, love it

What I wouldnt want to pay extra for was 50 different rooms. The box has more than I need as it is now.

As of this time I am really satisfied with Gigapulse.

The possibility of GP to have the option to choose from many microphones, is great, and the different positions of them as well.

What I personally like about GP is how intuitive and easy to use it is.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

andyt

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I think it has a great sound. The best of any reverbs I have access to.

But I see a lot of people posting (here and there) asking if GigaPulse is really that good.

I was just sharing a view that for those on a limited budget, a separate VST plug-in with more and a greater variety of shipped impulses .. and a growing library of impulses would be an alternative worth considering.

What I don't buy is that the impulses that shipped with GS3 will keep people happy forever and sooner or later people will want more variety ... and I don't see that happening, and certainly not affordably. (I'm sure someone will put me straight if this is NOT the case.)

I heard a demo of Waves IR1, and the quality of the impulses does seem to be very high. $400 for the impulse library alone seems to be a good deal.

Yea, GP is cool (and innovative) and will have lots of interesting applications , but really I think one of the thinks u pay for through the nose with the IR-1 is the 2nd CD. I have both IR-1 an GP and if I had to choose 1 I`d take the IR-1 in a heartbeat. The Impulses on that CD are the best I`ve ever heard. The Quality and spaces that Waves got access too is totally worth the price, plus they have a beta out that registered users can DL of a Surround version which should be interesting.. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    ... but really I think one of the thinks u pay for through the nose with the IR-1 is the 2nd CD.
    I'd say 1st CD. I think it was pretty easy to sample Lex. And those real halls are wonderful.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

GigaPulse isn't just a reverb, though. It's the core of several design methodologies. I love IR-1, and it's just getting better and better. But GigaPulse is a different animal. It is definitely worth it for the pro version, IMO, because you can do so much with programming.

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    GigaPulse isn't just a reverb, though. It's the core of several design methodologies. I love IR-1, and it's just getting better and better. But GigaPulse is a different animal. It is definitely worth it for the pro version, IMO, because you can do so much with programming.
    Yes, you're right its more than a reverb.

But if Library Developers choose to implement some of its sophisticated capabilities into their new libraries ... then the light SP version with Solo and Ensemble will be just as good to access and edit those new capabilities.

May I ask if you have programmed anything with GigaPulse (apart from loading up different impulses into existing libraries) ? It would be interesting to know if someone like yourself who has got his head around its capabilities and possibilities has had the inclination, time and where-withall to seriously programm with it.

It just my ill-informed and humble hunch that most end-users will never get round to serious programming with it .. the sample developers will do that.

And so, just to meet the needs of a reverb engine with lots of impulses ... I feel I would go for WAVES now, and rely on the standard GigaPulse SP to access all the wonderful new convolution based libraries that are inthe pipeline.

Which do you reach for first for reverb ? IR1 or GigaPulse ?

"But I do question my decision to pay the extra for GigaPulse."

You also got about 8GB of samples that the ensemble and solo version didn't include. I for one love the included VSL stuff, and while it is a bit limited I would have probably payed $150 for that library alone...

You also get polyphony limited only by your hardware (who wants to go back to 160 voices?), the full version of Giga Editor, many more midi channels, etc.

So really, the question is larger than just Gigapulse. If you didn't need these other samples or features, then you are probably right. But if you do, then GP Pro is just icing on the cake (especially if you are using GSIF-2 drivers for audio input, which I'm finding is very cool.)

Regards,

David

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Where I reach first for reverb depends on the situation. IR-1 for some things, straight Gigapulse for others.

One other thing that isn't immediately apparent sometimes: If you DON'T have GigaPulse Pro, you see a lot different UI with much less adjustment potential. I believe GigaStudio defaults to showing GP Pro if it's available, and there is a lot more flexibility in the use of that than the lighter version.

I'm doing some rooms, too (perhaps some will be commercially available, I'm not sure at this point). I also made a snare "kicker" which uses the resonance of a nice Pearl snare to rescue wimpy snare parts. This is somewhat equivalent to the old trick of putting a snare drum on its side in front of a monitor, and recording another track through that setup tp blend with the original snare.

Go Back to forum