• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mapping A Giga Instrument

Share/Bookmark

Mapping A Giga Instrument

Gigagurus step up, please.

My Yamaha P200 will send MIDI control changes for sustain, soft, and sostenuto. But the piano samples on CD that I have and know about don\'t respond to the control changes for soft or sostenuto.

Michiel Post, creator of the Post Grandioso piano samples CD, says that his instrument can be mapped to respond to soft control changes. (He is working on a foot pedal for the sostenuto function.) So, I expect that other samples can also be mapped to respond to both soft and sostenuto.

I want to map East/West\'s Steinway B samples for soft and sostenuto. But, I\'m a MIDI ignoramus.

Does anyone know what \"mapping\" means? Has anyone ever mapped a giga instrument of any kind?

PS, If RickD sees this, thanks for replying to my message on the hardware forum. I didn\'t know about mapping when I posted there, and don\'t know how to reply directly to you.

Re: Mapping A Giga Instrument

Originally posted by David Ferris:
    Gigagurus step up, please.

My Yamaha P200 will send MIDI control changes for sustain, soft, and sostenuto. But the piano samples on CD that I have and know about don\'t respond to the control changes for soft or sostenuto.

Michiel Post, creator of the Post Grandioso piano samples CD, says that his instrument can be mapped to respond to soft control changes. (He is working on a foot pedal for the sostenuto function.) So, I expect that other samples can also be mapped to respond to both soft and sostenuto.

I want to map East/West\'s Steinway B samples for soft and sostenuto. But, I\'m a MIDI ignoramus.

Does anyone know what \"mapping\" means? Has anyone ever mapped a giga instrument of any kind?

PS, If RickD sees this, thanks for replying to my message on the hardware forum. I didn\'t know about mapping when I posted there, and don\'t know how to reply directly to you.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">David,

Hello, Actually this should be very easy. All you need to do is go into the editor and create a new instrument. After you have created the new instrument you can then choose the instrument wizard (the little blue magician hat). Now type in a name for your new instrument and hit next. Type in the range for your piano and hit next. Decide how many velocities you want and pull down the first drop down and choose velocity then right to the \"right\" of it choose how many velocities you want. Now on the drop down right below that choose whatever controller you want to use to switch between the different articulations (this may be the sostenuto pedal or whatever). Now hit next...here you will simply assign which folder of samples (ie. pedal up \"f\") to the appropriate position. For example, If you just chose one velocity then drag the pedal up samples to the first region (1-63) and then drag the soft pedal folder to the upper region (64-127). That should do it. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Sincerely,

Scott

Hello David,

There is an updated GigaStudio Editor Help file available for free download on the Nemesys main page. Check out the sections on \"Regions\" and \"Detailed Edit Parameters\". There is a \"Reference\" section with some step-by-step tutorials for some procedures.

Thanks to Scott of DS Soundware for the step-by-steps. That should get you off in the right direction. Using the Editor with power and efficiency comes only with doing the process and gaining a wealth of experience by exploring and experimenting.

Have fun,
    Kevin

I need your help too, I red the new GigaStudio, there is an example about MOD wheel but there\'s nothing with (Sostenuto).

Unlike the damper pedal, which indiscriminately holds notes by lifting all the dampers at once, the sostenuto pedal sustains only those notes that are being held when the pedal is pressed. Through the use of a clever device, the sostenuto mechanism catches and holds any dampers that are in the raised position; notes played after the pedal is pressed behave in the usual manner.

My question is how I can do that on gigaStudio\'s Pianos?

Unfortunately, Giga doesn\'t support sostenuto. My old Kurzweil PC-88 does, but not when making sounds through giga. Hopefully, 3.0 will have this important feature - the engineers there *definitely* know that it\'s wanted.

I don\'t believe that the competition supports it either, but I don\'t own them, so I\'m not sure.

Kontakt has sostenuto support, I tryied it with Miroslav Vitous Acoustic Piano and it really worked to me but Piano Libraries as PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer 290 are to huge to use Kontakt that\'s why I need sostenuto with gigaStudio

Go Back to forum