• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius and GPO Tutorial

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius and GPO Tutorial

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on the up and coming GPO/Sibelius tutorial? I just recieved my copy of Sibelius (thanks a million Gary) and I'm trying to get the most out of it. Just curious.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Sibelius and GPO Tutorial

Hi Jonny

I don't know who's writing the tutorial officially, but I've been using Sibelius with GPO since it first appeared...If you need any specific help, I'll be more than willing to help you to set it up. Sibelius is a great program for composing, and recording directly from the GPOStudio recording function is easy and it sounds almost as good as a sequencer.

Any instructional material you would care to post would be gratefully recieved by me, and I'm sure many others....:-) EJ

Anytime you need it just email or PM me.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Hey Louis - (or indeed Chad)
    I'm new to GPO and to a lesser extent Sibelius. I mainly use DP on my Mac for recording and scoring, and I have tried to use GPO with it but it just crashes every time. So if either of you guys can help me set up GPO to work with Sibelius I'd be very grateful!!
    Many thanks,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyst
    Hey Louis - (or indeed Chad)
    I'm new to GPO and to a lesser extent Sibelius. I mainly use DP on my Mac for recording and scoring, and I have tried to use GPO with it but it just crashes every time. So if either of you guys can help me set up GPO to work with Sibelius I'd be very grateful!!
    Many thanks,

Andy
    Hi Andy,

I'm not a Mac person so I don't know how much I'll be able to help you. I'm also still using Sibelius 2.11 so, you will have to adjust instructions accordingly. I know the menus and menu items have changed somewhat.

To get Sibelius to "see" GPO Studio, you need to hit the "Find New Devices" button which is located in Play menu under Devices. If it works you will see eight instances of GPO Studio listed in the "Playback Devices" area.

Some people have to open Sibelius first and then GPO for it to work properly. In my case it works fine regardless of which one I open first. But I say that just to make you aware of a potential issue.

I suggest using the crescendo/diminuendo and legato plug-ins for Sibelius available in the downloads section of the Garritan web site. They really make a difference. I know they work for the PC version, I'm less sure about Mac. You will have to look and see.

If I've missed something Mac specific, Mac people please speak up.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Hi Can you help me in settings Sibelius and GPO to work together.
    New user
    Merheb Georges

Hi all!

I also run Sib 3.1 on a PC, so Mac is a bit out of my field , but I guess setting up couldn't be too different.

Basically, once GPOstudio and Sib are running, you set up your score adding your instruments, either manually or using the wizzard. You then go off to GPO studio and load your instruments there and in the Mixer window (Ctrl+Alt+M) in Sibelius, you click on each instrument in the mixer and choose the corresponding GPOplayer (in the Device field) that you loaded the instrument and the correct channel (1 - 8). If you hit the test button, you should then hear your loaded instrument play. You just ignore all the other settings in the mixer window. Then repeat the process until you set up all the instruments for your score. I usually set the sliders about 'mid way', otherwise GPO seems to be very loud and distorted.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Louis

Go Back to forum