• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guide to MIDI Orchestration: Any feedback?

Share/Bookmark

Guide to MIDI Orchestration: Any feedback?

The Third edition is now available. Have any of you used it? Any review/recommendations?

http://www.musicworks-atlanta.com/Introduction.html

Re: Guide to MIDI Orchestration: Any feedback?

If you're new to the world of midi orchestration it'll be a good resource book to have. The author does a great job of giving an overview of the process. But I don't think it should replace a standard orchestration book. Just adds to it.

Jeff

Jeff -

I'm not new to MIDI - or composing with it - but I am relatively new to doing more orchestral composing. Sounds like I might be able to benefit from this and more classical orchestral texts?

Enjoyed the book, best I have read, would have liked some midi files or even Cubase files - maybe a Guide website?

Lightbulb Re: Guide to MIDI Orchestration: Any feedback?

To be truly "fair and balanced" (unlike a major Murdoch "news" organization) I think you should also see the "user reviews" on Amazon here . There also seems to be a paperback edition which Amazon presents as the "same" though it appears to have a different cover from that shown on the MusicWorks site. (It may be that the paperback is NOT the third edition as noted elsewhere in this thread, in which case you probably don't want it.)

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

The one on Amazon is definitely older and MUCH new content was added to the third edition to the point that the reviews on Amazon are meaningless for the new edition.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum