• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should I make the step to XP professional?

Share/Bookmark

Should I make the step to XP professional?

Hi all,

A little question, I\'m running pretty solid on ME (PIII 1 Ghz, 512 MB, 3 Maxtors 20 gig each) With solid I mean, running GS160, LAP 5.1.3 and some VSTi plus effects simultaneously (Plus recording al that) without the blue-screens or MSG32 crap. Costed me at least a year to get everything fairly stable.

For my working pc, I bought XP professional and wondered if it is even better, the problem is (I guess) how to tweak it so tight it almost does not consume cpu power at all, I have the feeling a lot of cpu cycles are consumed by XP.

Anyone with ROCKSOLID XP experiences?

Cheers,
    PDG

Re: Should I make the step to XP professional?

Question: Should I make the step to XP professional?

Answer: No

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Answer: Yes

See how helpful this forum can be? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Answer: maybe.

Now we\'re REALLY being helpful! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Why no: Your system is solid. Don\'t intercourse with it. If it\'s not broke, DON\'T fix it...

Why yes: You plan to upgrade to 3.0 on a newer, faster machine, and want to rum your sequencer on the same box, with lots of name brand plugs, and perhaps a virtual insrument or two...

Why else yes: You feel you have way too much hair on your head and can\'t afford a razor.

Dasher

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Why no: Your system is solid. Don\'t intercourse with it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Okay . . . that brought up an image in my head I am now trying to get out!
    . . . and want to rum your sequencer . . .
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which probably explains your post. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks all for the tremendously intelligent replies. But serious, thanks.. I\'ll stick to good \'ol ME then [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If everything is working okay you do not need to upgrade to XP. If you have more than one computer performing different(midi, audio, sequencing, sampling) task you do not need to have the most current up to date computers.

NO. Maybe.

XP Professional contains extra networking features that you don\'t need in GigaStudio, or for most digital audio recording. If you want to move to XP, move to XP Home.

The differences are that with XP, GigaStudio does read 1GB RAM, but you lose a portion of that to XP which needs 128MB RAM to operate effectively.

Other issues are being certain that the audio and MIDI drivers you now have will operate flawlessly in XP. You need to work that out on paper first before you make your transition.

If your system is running stable, stay where you are. My only suggested change would be to add more RAM if your existing motherboard permits it.

Go Back to forum