NEW! DAW NOTEBOOK FROM TRUESPEC!

Introducing The Polaris, from TrueSpec Systems:

http://www.truespec.com/computersyst...ok/index.shtml
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: NEW! DAW NOTEBOOK FROM TRUESPEC!

Peter, not to be rude, but do you actually get business with those prices? I've always been interested in buying a Truespec system, but I'm afraid spending $4k on a computer seems a tadddd insane, especially when I know many people who've built their giga machines that work tremendously for a quarter of the price. I know you guys need to make a profit, but geesh.

Yes I know Bill Brown has bought systems from you guys, but he's not exactly pinching pennies.

Of course if money was no object, I'd buy four rack systems. But not at $16,000.

Again, no harm~

Aaron,

Those prices don't seem that bad when you look at the specs.

Laptop
    ------
    I tried to build a similar laptop at Dell, and the Dell system was $300 cheaper, but it only had 1 hard drive and a 15" monitor (the TrueSpec has a 17" monitor).

Giga 4U Rack
    ------------
    I see that the $4000 price also includes GS160, and 2GB of RAM (which is expensive).

With any of these "music computers" you are paying for a specialized solution, one where someone has done all of the research for you in terms of components.

Also I see TrueSpec systems provide Lifetime Technical Support - Dell dumped this a couple of years ago.

Another alternative would be to get one of those people you mention to build a system for you (I doubt they could do it for $1000 though).

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Peter, not to be rude, but do you actually get business with those prices? I've always been interested in buying a Truespec system, but I'm afraid spending $4k on a computer seems a tadddd insane, especially when I know many people who've built their giga machines that work tremendously for a quarter of the price. I know you guys need to make a profit, but geesh.

Yes I know Bill Brown has bought systems from you guys, but he's not exactly pinching pennies.

Of course if money was no object, I'd buy four rack systems. But not at $16,000.

Again, no harm~
    Yes, I do get customers, and they gave me super positive reviews in Paul Gllreath's new book on MIDI arranging.

First, a notebook with a 17" monitor set up for digital audio is a specialized piece, especially when this goes up to 2GB of RAM, where the more commerical notebooks only go up to 1GB.

Here's the link for the Apple 17" notebook and its price (not setup for digital audio) is $2799. It comes with only 512MB of RAM, one hard drive (mine has two and can also be set up as a RAID). Apple's speed is 1.5GHz where mine is a P4 3.2GHz Prescott (1MB cache).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.0.0.1.0

Our Polaris at $3399 is $600 more, but that takes into account the more powerful processor, the 2GB of RAM vs. 512k AND an 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW.

For our other systems, our prices are competitive. And as Martin Hines graciously pointed out, the difference between a Dell and a TrueSpec is only a few hundred dollars, with the price difference being our TIME going into setting up Windows XP and the BIOS correctly (depending on the software you're installing), plus the time we spend testing software and conferring with all the software manufacturers.

On our standard systems (not our notebook), you also get 1 year limited onsite servicing covering the non-digital audio parts of the system, plus an extra 2-year depot warranty covering the parts. So if something goes down, even if you have to send it back, in most cases there is no charge for the parts or labor.

Anybody can go to Googleware and get the cheapest possible parts and build a lessor system. But when we build a system, you''re not just paying for parts. You're paying for the time it takes to stay on stop of the software and all the changes so the machine arrives and works right the first time (providing of course, the UPS driver doesn't juggle with it up to the front steps of your house). I also have top people giving support and they have to be paid, usually because as a business, if you don't pay the people who work for you, they have a habit of leaving.

In your comments, you fail to note that the typical cost of a Giga 2.54 system from us, was an average $2795 up $2995. Our prices go higher because we require customers to pay the second system licensing agreement with Tascam (usually $350), then there's the cost of the audio card and the MIDI interface. If the customer sequences on a PC, then we encourage them to use FX Teleport to keep the price down. If they're sequencing on a Mac, TODAY they can use MIDIoverLAN. Yesterday, they couldn't. But they still have to buy an audio card. And that drives the price up.

In many cases, our customers get RAID drives because they have the Vienna Library. If it's the Pro Edition, it takes an average of 20 hours to install it, and we use the customer's DVDs so that if there are any problems with defective disks, we find it out during the installation.

In the greater LA area, the system is insured and delivered by a special courier. We then go to the studio and set up the system. When we leave, which averages 45 minutes, the composer sits down and works. If he bought the libraries from us, especially VSL, the composer gets a two hour training session on VSL. If they live outside of LA, I do the training session by phone.

You can't get that from Dell.
    Peter L. Alexander

Talking Re: NEW! DAW NOTEBOOK FROM TRUESPEC!

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Introducing The Polaris, from TrueSpec Systems:

http://www.truespec.com/computersyst...ok/index.shtml
    Let me just say: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is something I want! I must get started to save bucks for it.

Seriously, can I get one for free?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

WOW! sounds great... about time someone gave Apple a run for it's money....

so tell us....
    how stable is it running OSX?
    how well did Logic7 run?
    did the 3.2 do circles around that snail 1.5?
    Were you able to use almost all the ram on samples running EXS-24.

please give us the stats!

Quote Originally Posted by ngstime
    WOW! sounds great... about time someone gave Apple a run for it's money....

so tell us....
    how stable is it running OSX?
    how well did Logic7 run?
    did the 3.2 do circles around that snail 1.5?
    Were you able to use almost all the ram on samples running EXS-24.

please give us the stats!
    My apologies for the confusion. This is a Windows XP system. I compared it to the Apple because the price was comparable showing that feature for feature, our price was comparable to other manufacturers. Again, my apologies for the confusion.
    Peter L. Alexander

Go Back to forum