• Register
  • Help

Topic: I need help!

Share/Bookmark

I need help!

Hello!, My name is Camilo Atria, from Chile (I don`t speak very well the english), I am a Music Student and i am new in using samples.. I have some questions..

1- I have a soundblaster live soundcard, athlon xp 1800 and windows xp.. can I use gigastudio? (a friend of mine say that it doest works using SBlive!)

2- I interested in write orchestral scores, what software should i use?, can i use the samples?

3- i dont have any orchestral strings samples.. recomend me one =)

4- what i need to make my compositions in the pc!

thanks!! =)

Re: I need help!

Hey Camilo,

1- I have a soundblaster live soundcard, athlon xp 1800 and windows xp.. can I use gigastudio? (a friend of mine say that it doest works using SBlive!)

No, soundcards which run Gigastudio on XP version must have Nemesys \'GSIF\' drivers, and soundblaster cards do not. You could get an extra soundcard with a GSIF setup. On XP, Gigastudio does not work under MS Direct Sound. Gigastudio WILL work with a soundblaster on Windows 95, 98se or ME.

2- I interested in write orchestral scores, what software should i use?, can i use the samples?

I don\'t write scores on the PC, but many who do use Sibelius and are happy. Finale also gets a mention from time to time. If you are more of a \'player\' than a \'writer\', there are a few sequencer programs to choose from: Logic, Cubase and Sonar are the Big 3. Gigastudio and a sequencer running audio tracks on the one PC is difficult to do, but possible.

3- i dont have any orchestral strings samples.. recomend me one =)

This year is seeing a bumper crop of very high quality libraries. Two excellent string libraries available right now are Garritan Orchestral Strings (GOS), and Sonic Implants Orchestral Strings. Soon we will see more from Quantum Leap, Dan Dean, Vienna Symphonic Library, the SAM project and others. You should also listen to the VR Sounds Giga libraries for a different approach to emulating an orchestra.

4- what i need to make my compositions in the pc!

Gigastudio, a GSIF soundcard, a notation package like Sibelius - or a sequencer like Cubase SX, and of course some good libraries.

Please consider running the sequencer on a separate PC to the sequencer. Depending on how much work your sequencer does you may have trouble running both Giga and a sequencer on the same machine. If possible get a demonstration of the software (Giga and Notation/Sequencer)running on your PC so that you see your own machine doing exactly what you intend to do with it.

HARLO!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Camilo: I was in Chile once about 5 years ago!!! But I was really sick then having just come from Brazil. So the only thing I remembered was, that our plane, 747, is bigger than your airport... Is the airport in Chile still smaller than a 747???

Chadwick: Where is Cromer???

meeehoon

Sydney - Northern Beaches. Ten minutes north of Manly. I\'ve got a fair idea where Perth is [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum