• Register
  • Help

Topic: play Giga live from Cubasis VST

Share/Bookmark

play Giga live from Cubasis VST

Using GS 2.5 with an Echo Layla24 and sequencing from the included Cubasis VST 3.7.R2.

I set up GS port 2 to play \"live\" with the sequence plaing all on port 1. But I\'d love to be able to select a channel in Cubasis and record and play that channel on port 1 of GS. If I turn off all ports from Layla, I can play the sequnce fine (set up to port 1)but I can\'t hear the keyboard midi. If I turn on MODO thru, I getthe default channel 1, but how do I map the output of Cubasis to match the selected channel?
    (Can\'t change channel on keyboard.)

Thanks.

Dasher

Re: play Giga live from Cubasis VST

(bump) is anybody at all doing this? Thanks.

Dasher

Hello Dasher,

You ought to be able to set a track in Cubasis to transmit to Giga on a designated port and channel. In other words, you use Cubasis (or whatever sequencer you have) to \"re-direct\" the MIDI from your keyboard controller to the port and channel you want to control in GigaStudio.

The way it works for me in Cakewalk/SONAR is I have to have the track selected in the sequence (click on it with the mouse or arrow up/down with the keyboard) so that it is the \"active\" channel.

Otherwise, you need two hardware MIDI ports and connect the MIDI in from your keyboard to Port 2 in hardware. See, the lanquage of MIDI does not know \"ports\". It only knows channels, controllers, and values, etc. \"Ports\" was something that was invented to get more than 16 MIDI channels by creating more instances of the same 16 channels.

Savvy?

Kevin

You ought to be able to set a track in Cubasis to transmit to Giga on a designated port and channel
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Agreed. But it doesn\'t seem to work. MIDI Thru transmits on the requested port, but the channel the controller transmits on (channel 1) is not redirected to the proper(requested) channel in Cubasis. I could redirect it at the controller, but this won\'t work for me in live performance work.

It may be that Cubasis VST won\'t do that, I\'m going to have to check with their folks.

Thanks.

Dasher

Go Back to forum