• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does there exist something like virtual audio cable like midioverlan for midi?

Share/Bookmark

Does there exist something like virtual audio cable like midioverlan for midi?

I hope somebody knows a program which works the same like midioverlan, but then for audio so routing audio will be less of a pain for PC's via a Lan network.

Does somebody knows?

Re: Does there exist something like virtual audio cable like midioverlan for midi?

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    I hope somebody knows a program which works the same like midioverlan, but then for audio so routing audio will be less of a pain for PC's via a Lan network.

Does somebody knows?
    FX Teleport

Daryl

Re: Does there exist something like virtual audio cable like midioverlan for midi?

FX teleport i do know and it is alot of a hassle for me to get it working it gives glitches once in a while. So i am looking for a virtual audio cable like midioverlan is for midi. There is aprogram called how surprisingly "virtual audio cable" but that one does not support ASIO drivers it works on directsound MME drivers. So i hope somebody does know a cable supporting ASIO and i will try that one.

Nobody?

It should be great though to have a audiorouter.

FXT's the only one I'm aware of. Most people seem prety happy with it. Myabe you should try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    FXT's the only one I'm aware of. Most people seem prety happy with it. Myabe you should try it again.
    I did try and i get pretty good results but latency is the problem for me, with midioverlan i'm happy together with a soundcard. The only thing is that i need to record in my sequencer computer. So the routing is DAC convertion from virtual instruments computer and then ADC convertion on sequencer computer. Two times convertion and loss of audioquality.

How about SPDIF? No conversion at all then...

Chadwick how about latency? If i record in Nuendo you get latency isn'nt it!
    Can i compensate this in Nuendo, and is it possible then to mix with VST plug-ins in realtime? Sorry for so much questions.

Hey Resident,

It's just not possible for Nuendo or any other DAW to compensate for the latency in equipment which is located 'outside' its territory. Notes you play on your 'external' PC arrive when they arrive - the DAW has no way of knowing when they were supposed to turn up.

As you have Nuendo, the closest thing I can think of to what you want is Steinberg's VST System Link. You connect the audio cards of two PCs with a digital audio cable and they mostly act like one system - pretty much what you're looking for. The drawback is that the latency of the set up is the latency of the digital audio cards in each PC added together. So if one card has 8ms latency and the other has 10, System Link sets an overall latency of 18ms. The up side is that you DO get automatic latency compensation.

What a lot of people like about Teleport FX is that you require only one audio card - no matter how many PCs you use - and the latency is determined by that audio card and the speed of your LAN.

How bad was your latency with FXT?

For the virsyn TERA synth i had 1024 samples latency and for korg legacy 512 samples. Together with the audiocard 384 samples. But every now and then i had glitches too. I don't know what is the problem. Also i tried the gigastudio VST adapter from FXmax. And on the same computer as Nuendo i could not establish glitch free Gigastudio playing and without going through the network cards. I had to turn down the buffersize to 256 and then back to 384 and then performance was better very starnge indeed. So i'm not very lucky with the FXmax products. I'm happy with a playbacklatency of 384 samples when hitting a midinote, especially with fast attack instruments like drums.
    It feels sluggish to me when latency is larger than that.
    Are you running with FXteleport? Yeah i heard the vst system link puts together the latency of both the soundcards so i will end up with 2 times 384 samples.

Go Back to forum