• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No Sound From GS160

Share/Bookmark

No Sound From GS160

I\'ve just installed GS160 v. 2.50, and I can\'t get it to produce a sound, neither from the Virtual Keyboard or from my MIDI keyboard.

Once I\'ve loaded an instrument, the Virtual Keyboard shows white keys. However, clicking on them does nothing; they don\'t change color, nothing. The port lights (under the resource monitors) are grayed out.

Windows 2000 doesn\'t report the GS MIDI ports, nor does SONAR.

I\'ve confirmed that my MIDI interface is selected for MIDI in (Delta 1010). I\'ve also made sure that GS and SONAR are using different output audio ports.

I\'ve done a \"clean install\" per TASCAM\'s instructions. No change.

The TASCAM forum indicates that some others are having this problem, but so far no solutions are forthcoming.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

System:

Tyan Tiger MP Motherboard (S2460)
    2x AMD 1.33 GHz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Delta 1010 (driver v. 5.1.00.27)
    Matrox Millenium G400 video card
    Firewire interface
    AHA-2940 SCSI interface
    2x Seagate ST380021A HD (80 GB, 7200 rpm, IDE)
    Seagate 32550N HD (2 GB, SCSI)
    Yamaha CRW2100E IDE CD-RW
    Plextor PX-40TS SCSI CD-ROM
    Seagate ST220000A Tape Drive (USB)
    UMAX S-12 Scanner (SCSI)

Windows 2000 (SP3)
    SONAR 2.0XL
    Sound Forge 5

Kurzweil K2500 Synth/Sampler

Re: No Sound From GS160

Does the VU meter in the GS mixer show level when you click on the virtula keyboard?

Bill,

Nothing happens at all. (I don\'t see a VU meter, actually. Where should it be?)

Further to the problem described below, I\'ve tried installing GS160 under Windows ME. It worked. (At least for a while, then I started getting errors in KERNEL.DLL and other places.)

Of course, I want to use Windows 2000 and the software is sold as usable in Windows 2000. Maybe the fact that it works in ME will give someone a clue as to what is happening.

Thanks!

The VU meters are next to the volume slider on the MIDI Mixer tab.

Also know that GSt definitely does work under Win2k.

A few questions:

* Have you enable multi client mode for the Delta? It’s not set that way by default.

* Where do the GS output from the Delta go? Does everything go to the Delta internal mixer?

* Do you Windows system sounds work? Does Sonar work by its self?

* Under Win2k, after you first boot and you press ctl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, is msgsrv32 one of the processes running?

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

\"The VU meters are next to the volume slider on the MIDI Mixer tab.\"

Ah-hah! No, no response on the VU meter.

\"Also know that GSt definitely does work under Win2k.\"

That\'s what I\'m counting on!

\"A few questions:

* Have you enable multi client mode for the Delta? It’s not set that way by default.\"

I\'ve been using my Delta 1010 under SONAR, Sound Forge, and Video Factory for a long time. This is the first time I\'ve heard about multi-client mode. Where is the setting? Is it the choice between \"Single and In-Synch\" and \"Independent\" under \"Hardware Settings\"?

\"* Where do the GS output from the Delta go? Does everything go to the Delta internal mixer?\"

I\'ve set GS output to go to WavOut 3&4, and I\'ve set SONAR to go through 1&2. These are each sent to an external mixer.

\"* Do you Windows system sounds work? Does Sonar work by its self?\"

No problem with the Delta under SONAR, Video Factory, Sound Forge, Windows System sounds, etc.

\"* Under Win2k, after you first boot and you press ctl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, is msgsrv32 one of the processes running?\"

No. The closest thing is \"msg32.exe\"

As I said in the message above, I\'ve gotten GS160 to work in Windows ME with the Delta 1010. The only other application I have installed in ME is Sonic Foundry\'s Video Factory (which does use the Delta). So I haven\'t tried it out with SONAR yet. But obviously this isn\'t really satisfactory; I\'ve set up some large NTFS files for use with GS160, and I want to use them.

Thanks again. Please let me know about the Delta multi-client mode and if you have any other ideas!

Bill,

I tried it, but there was no change.

I also tried uninstalling GS AND the Delta 1010 driver, doing a fresh install of GS, and finally reinstalling the Delta driver. Still no change.

Thanks,

Vance

Do you have only outputs 3&4 enabled in GSt (as opposed to just using them for your outputs)?

Have you tried switching to 1&2?

Are the MIDI ports other then the Delta specifically disabled?

I somehow have the feeling that the problem might be very simple, if we can just find it…

\"Do you have only outputs 3&4 enabled in GSt (as opposed to just using them for your outputs)?\"

Have you tried switching to 1&2?\"

I\'ve tried 1&2 and 3&4 simultaneously enabled, and each of them enabled separately. Under ME, both 1&2 and 3&4 work fine (but then SONAR isn\'t installed under ME).

\"Are the MIDI ports other then the Delta specifically disabled?\"

The Delta MIDI port is the only one I have, EXCEPT for the \"Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth\". It is not disabled.

\"I somehow have the feeling that the problem might be very simple, if we can just find it…\"

I hope you\'re right, and I appreciate your perseverance. Are you using a Delta 1010?

I\'ve just read the following on the Sonar Forum:

\"I went thru about 3 weeks of Giga-mess before I got it to work on my
    XP machine w/ the Delta 1010. I did the clean install about 30 times (no
    joke), what I finally discovered was the techs at Tascam are nice but not as
    helpful as the Sonar newsgroup, and that I had to do a clean install of my
    delta drivers (using the latest standalone version), which means you will
    need to clean registry entries for M-audio and Delta then reinstall using a
    standalone driver(5.10.00.0027). I had the identical problem you are having,
    midi was there but always grayed-out no activity. I moved soundcards,
    uninstalled remove hardware, etc...for 3 weeks until I loaded the newest
    Delta driver(as a clean install) after that everything was sweet.\"

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum