• Register
  • Help

Topic: Splendid Grand Piano

Share/Bookmark

Splendid Grand Piano

I downloaded this free Akai Splendid Grand Piano the other day.
    It's a nice sized library, it's free, the guys say it sounds good, so I thought I'd try it out.

So, Now I have these folders of waves and some AKAI related files.

How do I use these with the ESX24?
    I can't do a regular akai conversion (that I am used to) because I don't have an AKAI CD, just the files. Do I have to MAKE an akai CD with these files?

I am a bit stumped as I've never done that either.

HELP! :-)

Thanks!
    My name is Elmer J. Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Dual 1ghz G4 (quicksilver), Mac OSX.3.5, 1gb RAM, Logic Pro 6.4.3, Yamaha 01X, Tannoy PBM 6.5's

Re: Splendid Grand Piano

I don't know anything about ESX24, but from what you say, I gather that it doesn't import Akai files. (Are you sure this is true--most softsampers do. You just have to find the import Akai command...)

1. If the DISK is in Akai format and your computer won't read it, and ESX24 won't read it, you may have to get Translator or Translator Free or Extreme Sample Converter.

2. If the disk is in PC format, and you have the Akai file and the samples, you could also just recreate the multisample, going by the names of the samples themselves. Time consuming, with this piano, since it's fairly large.

3. On the other hand, the Splendid Grand is also available as a soundfont that you can download for free. If ESX24 opens\imports sound fonts, this may be the most straightforward method--the samples are the same. I would imagine the mapping is close, too. If you do downlaod and import the soundfont, be sure you DON'T have any option selected in ESX24 that separates single stereo files or combines mono\faux stereo samples. (May not be a problem, but it wreaked havoc for me a long time ago, pasting the wrong samples in the wrong places in another sampler.)

Hope this helps.

Jake, thanks for your input.
    The ESX does convert AKAI, but I've only ever done it from a CD.
    Where I just pop the CD in my drive, launch the converter, and it brings the files over to my HD in ESX format.
    In this situation, I have no CD. Just the downloaded files. And that is where I am stumped.

I asked a friend. He says these files I have are in S5000 format probably. So I need a program called CDXtractor or something to convert it. Are you familiar with the app?

Dual 1ghz G4 (quicksilver), Mac OSX.3.5, 1gb RAM, Logic Pro 6.4.3, Yamaha 01X, Tannoy PBM 6.5's

For others with difficulty using the free AKAI samples...

Here is a great site with downloadable instrument files already created for the EXS24:

http://www.cone.nl/test/exs.htm

Go Back to forum