• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I know this forum is dead but...

Share/Bookmark

I know this forum is dead but...

I know this forum is dead but I\'ll try my luck;

Can any body update on Kontakt\'s bugy dfd situation?

Re: I know this forum is dead but...

For PC or Mac?

MAC AU in DP4

Chaim,I think NI are realizing how buggy some of there MaC plugs are and are working on this for the next update. Like. I`ve heard that there optimizing Kontakt and Kompakt for G5 ,OSX so that 3.5 GB of ram can be recognized(as apposed to 2 GB in XP)..Hope this helps its all ive heard [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ..Rich

I can access right now more than 3.5 GB of RAM in Kontakt. What I need is a working dfd.

For me Kontakt works just fine on the mac G5 and DP besides dfd. (and multi outs, but that\'s not a Kontakt issue, it\'s an AU/DP thing)

Chaim, Have u tried turning off your Page filing(virtual memory)? With that much ram ,OSX should need it. And on expert settings~ 192 pre-load buffer around 194 and voice buffer around 300 with 250 reseved voices..On my PC`s, this has worked wonders for me...Rich

Chaim, I think you\'re seeing more than one thread\'s memory usage being shown. The sequencer and any soft sampler both fit in the same 2GB thread.

The people who told me that are very reliable, so I\'m inclined to believe them.

Nick,

If I can load (and I can) a 2.3 GIG piano entirely in RAM (no streaming), what does that say?

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    Chaim, Have u tried turning off your Page filing(virtual memory)? With that much ram ,OSX should need it. And on expert settings~ 192 pre-load buffer around 194 and voice buffer around 300 with 250 reseved voices..On my PC`s, this has worked wonders for me...Rich
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rich,

Where exactly do I turn on or off Page Filing?

The dfd bug I\'m talking about isn\'t that I have poor performance or processor peaks. It\'s when I release a note, the end of the sample replays. This is a known bug on the mac.

If I can load (and I can) a 2.3 GIG piano entirely in RAM (no streaming), what does that say?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It says that either:

1. you\'re not really loading 2.3GB in RAM (one avenue to check: space on disk is larger than the actual file because everything gets \"rounded up\" to the next HD block);

2. Clemens Homburg, who programmed the EXS24 and explained this to me three weeks ago, is completely full of booshwoogie;

3. CM on the VSL forum (and occasionally here) has no idea what he\'s talking about;

4. NI has actually found a way around the 2GB per thread limitation, even though by all accounts AU plug-ins must be in the same thread as the host sequencer and it doesn\'t make any sense that they could possibly do that since they\'re not programming the sequencer;

or I could speculate that

5. NI has figured out a way to make something like a RAM disk, which would only solve our problems if RAM disks could be 300GB or so.

#1 seems by far the most likely to me. I really want to believe that you can load much more into RAM - in which case I\'ll buy a G5 today - but alack. And of course I want a 1-machine solution as much as we all do!

So I would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong!

Go Back to forum