• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Q for Experienced Kontakt Users

Share/Bookmark

Basic Q for Experienced Kontakt Users

Hi Folks,

Kontakt, like other flagship samplers, has various conversion tools, like the giga, akai converter, etc. My question is this:

As I attempt to accumulate a sound library, are there some formats that convert better than others? Are there some non NI formats that I can embrace, while others I should avoid?

Obviously, if I consider a sound for the library, I'm more interested in the instrument than I am in the file name, so long as it works right and converts the full sonic value to the .nki format.

I think right now that the akai conversion works better than the giga, for example, but there are enough other variables that I don't really know.

Any advice on what formats I can buy with confidence would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Basic Q for Experienced Kontakt Users

There are some giga libraries that require some work on the part of the user when converting to the .nki format due to their complex keyswitching and programming. Not that these can't be done in Kontakt, because they can. I would check with the developer or distributor of the library for multi format versions or crossgrade options for Kontakt users. A lot of developers have .nki files made up so that essential all you do is use Kontakt to create the individual wave files for the library and then you add their .nki file to it to create a finished product. I would say that for most libaries, though, the conversion process goes smoothly enough in my limited experience.

Re: Basic Q for Experienced Kontakt Users

My God, Joseph, you are quick to respond! Do you ever just relax or sleep?

I'd try it sometime, it's most refreshing.

But thanks for the reply. The one giga sample I bought so far was "Front Porch Banjo," and the developer told me specifically told me he hadn't tested for .nki compatibility, but he sent me a link to a demo type thing that had scratches and the full low D note. I tried that and then I bought it.

It's a great banjo sound (including all the G string stuff,) but the velocity, or the "oomph" seems to be a bit below other voices I'm playing with on similar volume settings. I'm not quite getting that true "metallic" banjo sound I heard on the posted demos.

As far as Kontakt editing is concerned, I've been able to do a few basic things such as change the attack and decay on an SF2 harmonica, and it's actually a pretty damned good harmonica now for free! But I'm still clueless about keyswitching and stuff.

Akai ( I bought an ethnic collection from Sounds on Line) for $50, and that seemed flawless, once the good people here explained to me how to do it, telling me that Windows doesn't read akai, you have to run it through Kontakt.

If, as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, then I am truly dangerous!

Go Back to forum