• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soundcard question (SoundMax)

Share/Bookmark

Soundcard question (SoundMax)

Does anyone know if the "SoundMax" soundcard comes with ASIO installed on it or do I need to install ASIO4ALL myself?

Hewlett-Packard hasn't got a clue !!!!!

I'm a techie moron.

Paul O - Houston
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

Re: Soundcard question (SoundMax)

I'm a tech moron, too, but I believe that SoundMax is an internal device that comes with the OS. (I think I now have it disabled but can't honestly remember.)

It will not be ASIO ready, as ASIO is a proprietary format from Steinberg, and not Microsoft, and you might want to try the ASIO4All thing, but if you're posting in a forum like this, what you most probably need is a real audio card.

I won't post you a link, because I don't know what you're doing, or what you need, but you might want to look at real audio cards from folks like Echo, M-Audio, etc., to see what fills the bill.

SoundMax is the soundcard that came on your laptop (and is built into many laptops and motherboards). i have it on all my PC's also. Its not a bad little soundcard. It comes with WDM drivers on XP...which is very low latency and you're good to go on Sonar with that. If you are using an app that doesn't know WDM and rather prefers ASIO drivers, there are not any native SoundMax ASIO drivers at this point in time and probably never will be.

However, ASIO4ALL is apparantly a wrapper that sits on top of WDM and will basically let you effectively use an AISO application with a WDM soundcard/driver underneath. Of course, this is freeware and you might deal with some craziness whenever you use any kind of "wrapper". but many people use ASIO4ALL without any problems, so its worth a try if you have an audio app that can use ASIO and doesn't work directly with WDM.

I think there are many people out there with SoundMax soundcards and I bet a lot of them are using ASIO4ALL.

I was also able to update the DLS sounds on my SoundMax with a 24MB GM set that sounded way better than factory. This is a little hidden feature of the SoundMax. Still looking for the ultimate GM Soundfont bank to use there.

cheers
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I use the on-board Soundmax audio on my computer with Sonar and GPO. It seems to have worked well using both WDM and ASIO4ALL.

I mainly stay with WDM since I use GPO mostly as a VST plug-in. However, I have installed ASIO4ALL and tried it with GPO Studio and it worked fine.

Jeff
    (BTW - First post on any forum anywhere).

If you're on a laptop as dewd indicated then you should take a look at this link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rongonz/h...tml#Category_4

If you look under "Compatibility Alert!!" and then "Problems with Laptop PCs" you'll find two glaring problems with HP laptops (and ONLY HP). Read it carefully. I have a zd7000 about 8 months old. I'm still disgusted about it.
    This kind of thing is inexcusable out of a major manufacturer.

I only mention this in case you look for hardware solutions as a next step. You need to know about the potential landmines.

interesting. Sorry to hear you got a bad one. Mine is not tha mentioned zd7000, nor is it a P4, so perhaps I wouldn't have that problem. But I don't plan to use PCMCIA anyway, so will probably never be an issue for me. Loving my HP!
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I was also able to update the DLS sounds on my SoundMax with a 24MB GM set that sounded way better than factory. This is a little hidden feature of the SoundMax. Still looking for the ultimate GM Soundfont bank to use there.
    The best General MIDI SoundFont I've ever heard is the SynergiGS as seen here!
    Don't forget to check out the MP3 demos.

Not bad for onboard/Sandblaster audio.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

DUDE! Awesome. I have been looking all over for a proper DLS GM soundset to use with my soundMax. This looks like it might be it. And not very expensive either. Thanks for the tip.

Go Back to forum