• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Streaming Full Samples from a Ram Disk

Share/Bookmark

Streaming Full Samples from a Ram Disk

Is it possible to configure a large ram disk from within Windows, and then load all the samples of a particular sound, say GIGAPIANO, into ram, and configure Gigastudio to stream the samples from the ram disk? Thanks. Steve [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Streaming Full Samples from a Ram Disk

Why on earth a someone wanna do that?

Then it wouldn\'t matter what the access time of the disk is. The samples I know I want to use would already be in ram. Ram response time is faster than the 8 ms it takes for the disk to respond. Also, the HD could be powered down.

Has anyone tried it? Would Giga have potential problems with its quicksound database?

Nice but forget about it, Winblows is horrible with it\'s memory management plus the CPU gets kicked in the butt also.

You could buy a Mac, ramdisks are far better organized with that machines [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hell, you can even put your entire OS on a ramdisk with a Mac.

Yeah, well PC also can do that.. And btw, giga doesn\'t run on MAC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well and fine. If a PC can do it, please let me know how, as I am looking for a solution. The MASTER of ram disks was the old ATARI 1040 which had a ram disk which wouldn\'t crash when the rest of the computer did, thus allowing you to do what what called a \"warm boot\". The computer would reboot with the contents of the ram protected.

Use Kontakt or Unity on a new Mac with 2 gigs of RAM, you can easily load up the entire gigapiano in RAM and get supremely great response with tons of polyphony and very low latency!

Both the programs can read gigasampler files!

sfsmith: hey, Amiga could do that too!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

An interesting subject: I never tried that but could work. You can use any ram-disk specific application to create one virtual disk unit out of 1Gb Ram (let\'s say), then open Gigastudio and load the Gigapiano from the .GIG file located into the Ram-disk. That should work with no problems. The question is: will it be convenient to do so? Being not a dangerous operation I suggest you to give it a try. Consider that this trick (if working) will be useful only in certain situation, for example: you need a computer to load just the gigapiano and act as a piano module but the computer does not have fast streaming hard drives.
    Best luck,
    Alberto

Go Back to forum