• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound mashing in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Sound mashing in Sonar

I have just purcheased GPO, and am using it as a DXI in Sonar 4. It works fairly well most of the time, but with a few odd things happening to the sounds occaissionally. I am working on my first 'piece' , using one instance of GPO with four sample sounds loaded, and was recording the midi for the third track when half way through recording the whole sound mashed up horribly, that's the best way i can describe it, and i had to stop the recording.
    The CPU was at about 40% usage according to the sonar metering.
    My specs are
    Athlon 2Ghz CPU
    768 MB Ram
    5,200 speed hard drive
    Sonar 4
    Latest patch for GPO
    has anyone else been having the same sort of problems? I don't get this with my other DXI/VST's (Vsampler, Mtron, freebies). I understand the GPO is possibly more demanding..?

Re: Sound mashing in Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by timfarman
    I have just purcheased GPO, and am using it as a DXI in Sonar 4. It works fairly well most of the time, but with a few odd things happening to the sounds occaissionally. I am working on my first 'piece' , using one instance of GPO with four sample sounds loaded, and was recording the midi for the third track when half way through recording the whole sound mashed up horribly, that's the best way i can describe it, and i had to stop the recording.
    The CPU was at about 40% usage according to the sonar metering.
    My specs are
    Athlon 2Ghz CPU
    768 MB Ram
    5,200 speed hard drive
    Sonar 4
    Latest patch for GPO
    has anyone else been having the same sort of problems? I don't get this with my other DXI/VST's (Vsampler, Mtron, freebies). I understand the GPO is possibly more demanding..?
    Well, I use Sonar 2.2, but on my first use of GPO I had similar problems. It was corrected by installing the latest driver updates to my (NEW) sound card and updating graphics drivers. Then I set levels, adjusted buffers & latency. Everything seemed to fall into place. I do not use DXi. I find that using the GPO Studio works best with Sonar, but since you have the built in VST host in Sonar 4, that might be the best route. I always suggest VST over DXi unless you have a specific need for DXi. Also, don't use any reverb or effects except the Ambience (in GPO Studio). Make sure that you are loading either the Dry or X-Custom instruments.

In sonar, there are some options regarding monitoring record input which could be a big problem, as could be duplex setting if your sound card does not support it.

I have no doubt that your problem is in the settings, and if this does not help, in the morning some truly technical help will jump in to the rescue. These are some thought for you to try till the doctor arrives.

Richard Wayland

Hi Tim

Could you explain what you mean by "mashed up" ? Also, what type of soundcard are you using? Try running a wave profiler again, go up to Options | Audio, and as has been suggested, adjust your buffer size and buffers in playback queue according to the optimal limits for your soundcard.

Also, did it only occur when you recorded your third track? Implying that two previous tracks were recorded flawlessly? Does it happen every time you record your third track?

Also, as has been suggested, use the VSTi. In my experience, the DXi was better for older versions of Sonar because the VST had a horrible habit of freezing certain notes on you if you stopped playback before reaching a note-off! However, Sonar 4 (in fact, sonar 3.1.1 too) fixed that issue.

Run some more tests, and try to pinpoint the cause of the errors: Is it the "third recording" - doubtful, is it your soundcard - likely, is it settings in Sonar conflicting with optimal settings for your specific computer/audio card - probably, was it God playing tricks on you - very likely.

I hope this helps!

- Junk3r

Use the VST version of GPO. There is a nasty bug Tempo Change bug in DXi version of Kontakt which screws up the note lengths. This sounds like stuck notes and just creates a mess.

Just to say thanks for the replies, folks.
    I'll try looking at all my settings (soundcard is Delta Audiophile 24/96)
    Plus I'll try using GPO as a VST.
    It's early days for me with GPO (2 weeks ago since i bought it!) so i don't know if it's a mysterious 3rd track problem - all i can say is in the short time i've experimented with it, the GPO seems erratic in performance for me, whereas i've got about 10 VST/DXi (mostly freebies) and have no problems with them...
    so..when i get some timei'll try fiddling with settings and try and see what the problem is (not giving up that's for sure - the GPO is..well, just inspiring to work with!)

EDIT- I'm actually wondering if my problem is coming from using the 'Sound on sound' recording option (where you can layer midi sequences over each other all on the same track) - because of the way velocity events can be recorded in GPO with the modwheel.
    So if you're writing a new sequence of notes and using the modwheel, it'll think you're recording velocity events to your already recorded notes?
    Last edited by timfarman; 11-03-2004 at 06:21 AM. Reason: add some info

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I use Sonar 2.2, but on my first use of GPO I had similar problems. It was corrected by installing the latest driver updates to my (NEW) sound card and updating graphics drivers. Then I set levels, adjusted buffers & latency. Everything seemed to fall into place. I do not use DXi. I find that using the GPO Studio works best with Sonar, but since you have the built in VST host in Sonar 4, that might be the best route. I always suggest VST over DXi unless you have a specific need for DXi. Also, don't use any reverb or effects except the Ambience (in GPO Studio). Make sure that you are loading either the Dry or X-Custom instruments.

In sonar, there are some options regarding monitoring record input which could be a big problem, as could be duplex setting if your sound card does not support it.

I have no doubt that your problem is in the settings, and if this does not help, in the morning some truly technical help will jump in to the rescue. These are some thought for you to try till the doctor arrives.

Richard Wayland
    I found your comments interesting. I am using Sonar 4. Are you suggesting that someone not use the sonar reverb and instead use the Ambience in GPO studio? How and when would you use Ambience in the Sonar process?
    jgyoungmd

Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    I found your comments interesting. I am using Sonar 4. Are you suggesting that someone not use the sonar reverb and instead use the Ambience in GPO studio? How and when would you use Ambience in the Sonar process?
    I think he means the ambience reverb that comes on disc 4 of GPO, which acts like any other effect in your sequencer as far as i know, well, he'll tell you better than I..
    reason i'm adding a post is just to say i've tried the good and helpful suggestions and found that using GPO as a VST rather than DXI certainly seems to use much less CPU power (45% down to about 15%!).
    Also ..it really doesn't like any efects, you weren't kidding. I think that was the possibly the reason for the two errors i got (the mashed sound, which was just a cacophony of stuck notes, and the second time, a crash of sonar)
    So fingers crossed, problems sorted..
    Apologies for the outrageous spellings in my first post

I use the Lexicon Pantheon reverb that comes with Sonar. Very low on CPU usage compared to Ambience.

Go Back to forum