• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: If we were building today....

Share/Bookmark

If we were building today....

I think that with all the new information we have about Giga3, now would be a good time to start this. I will be building a system for Giga3 very soon and have done my research over a period of quite a few months. My information has come from a variety of sources, but a lot of it came from all of you out there (thanks by the way). So with that, this is not my way of taking the easy way out for building my system. I already did my research for quite a long period and pretty much know what I'm going with, proven systems. How about it? Let's post our ideas of what we would build for Giga3, if we were building today. I thought that that was what the "NEW ERA for DAW" forum was going to be, but it kind of took a turn somewhere... Let's do it here.

Re: If we were building today....

If I were building today (actually, I'm going to build in November)....

I'd build this:

Asus P4C-800 E Deluxe
    P4 3.0
    Antec Sonata
    1 GB Ram
    Seagate SATA 80 & 160
    64 MB AGP Video Card
    Audiophile 24/86

or this:

Asus P5GDC or P5GD1
    P4 3.0 (Socket 775)
    Antec Sonata
    Two Seagate SATA NCQ drives
    Audiophile 24/96
    a cheap video card

Haven't decided which.

The only thing I would add, even though there is debate about it, is going to at least 1.5 GB for giga.

Allowing GS3 can use up to 1 GB for samples by itself, and the OS can use up to 250 meg, then it stands to reason that at least 1.25 is needed. I personally have 2 GB in my GS3 system, because, although it cannot all be utilised, it does give me some flexibility to run some of the EW Kompakt based samples in that extra RAM, if I am getting a little thin on the Kontakt machine I have.

Each to their own, that is only my .02c.

One little detail I've come across is the different varieties of Gigabit LAN on newer motherboards. Asus boards like the P4C800, for example, implement this "the old way", with the LAN controller working via the PCI buss. I've heard it said that this can (a) reduce the available bandwidth for networking, and (b) increase the likelihood of conflicts between LAN and soundcard.

Some other boards, notably most Intel ones, use a "CSA" architecture that connects the LAN controller directly to the Northbridge, bypassing the PCI buss. I've just revamped my main machine around an Intel D875PBZ (not for this reason actually, I only found out about this afterwards), and it's extremely stable. I've also ordered a Gigabyte board (can't remember the model) with CSA LAN for a Giga-only machine.

I don't have benchmarks or anything regarding this issue, but keeping the LAN separate from the PCI buss seems to make sense, if you're planning to do anything using Giga Teleport or any of the various networking technologies involved in running Giga on a second machine.

What would Danimal build?

So far, this is what I will be doing:

-Asus p4c800e deluxe
    -p4 3.2 (not sure Northwood or Prescott yet, probably Northwood since it seems that Prescott's only advantage would be more speed when doing extreme overclocking, and I don't want to overclock my Giga machine, I don't think)
    -2 gig ram
    -Layla 3g or Gina 3g
    -Sibelius upgrade to 3.0
    -Sonar 4 PE
    -inexpensive video card
    -a very large case for hard drive upgrades
    -IDE drive for above software
    -2 or 3 WD raptors for samples
    - drive for audio files
    -possibly another computer just for running Sibelius and Sonar

I'm going to have to do some research regarding the motherboard/Lan issues that "Ouch" brought up. Any more information regarding that would be useful. My whole reason for going with P4p800e deluxe is it seems to be as stable as one can expect at the moment. Although, nothing seems exactly "stable" for Gigastudio if one searches the forums because of all the software/hardware configurations.

I got the information about the LAN issue just from references to it in motherboard reviews at places like Tom's Hardware. I don't remember seeing any articles dealing with this issue specifically, sorry.

Danimal - good going. Severl threads have been started and corrupted without some final listing. I hope you will list every component, down to the power supply and for those of us not technically profecient, the make and model of each component.

Thanks for getting back to what is needed for an "unlimited" polyphony, dedicted DAW.

jamiha

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I think that with all the new information we have about Giga3, now would be a good time to start this. I will be building a system for Giga3 very soon and have done my research over a period of quite a few months. My information has come from a variety of sources, but a lot of it came from all of you out there (thanks by the way). So with that, this is not my way of taking the easy way out for building my system. I already did my research for quite a long period and pretty much know what I'm going with, proven systems. How about it? Let's post our ideas of what we would build for Giga3, if we were building today. I thought that that was what the "NEW ERA for DAW" forum was going to be, but it kind of took a turn somewhere... Let's do it here.
    Thanks Danimal for doing this relay. Great!

So if I understand well the Asus p4c800e deluxe is routing Glan thru PCI Bus?
    Maybe it is better to build a system with a good inexpensive soundcard like Gina3G (1 ADAT toslink I/O) and MOL for mor then 1 port of MIDI.
    Of course I am thinking in one dedicated machine for GS3 linked with a SEQ DAW. In my case I have an old 1.8 P4 with RME HDSP Multiface, so I could route 8 channels full duplex between the 2 DAWs.
    Impatient to read other opinions! Now my wish is to see this thread living high!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkmusic
    Thanks Danimal for doing this relay. Great!

So if I understand well the Asus p4c800e deluxe is routing Glan thru PCI Bus?
    No, the e-version is using the CSA bus and frees up the PCI buss. That's the main difference betweeen the e-version and the other P4C800 versions. I bought this motherboard myself just for that reason.

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Go Back to forum