• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie with questions

Newbie with questions

I'm new to this forum, and new to the world of PC computing...I have long wanted to run GigaStudio, but did not want to bite the PC bullet as I am a Mac user...I recently had a PC built for GigaStudio using a P4 3.0 CPU, with 1 gig memory, 80 and 120 gig Seagate drives, DVD/Cd ram, intel chipset , ect...
    The motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe....From what I have been reading on this forum is that my setup should work well with GigaStudio 3....I am needing information on a sound card ..I am leaning toward a Gina 3G w/GSIF 2 drivers....Is anyone using this card , and with good or bad results ?
    I'm not loading ANYTHING into this computer until I have someone who has already done a similar install ..I am not familiar with the workings of a PC as it is, and I am not relishing having to deal with a lot of trouble shooting right off the bat ... I was first leaning toward an RME card ( hadn't decided which one yet) and then read about problems with RME cards and GigaStudio 3 as far as the midi is concerned....I have to say that the real world info I have read on this forum is 2nd to none, and I do appreciate all the knowlege that you folks have to offer .. It's really a shame that the manufactures can't be more up front with folks ... I don't mind being a bit behind the technilogical ball as of late , because I have been in the forefront of technology before, and have been burnt too many times.... I have more of a "watch, listen, and learn" mentality now ....Thank you to all in advance for your help ....Sincerely, Jim

Re: Newbie with questions

I have pretty much the identical set up. I am using an old Layla 20 card by echo audio. It has been very reliable and beleive it or not they are still delivering updates to the drivers for a card that was made a LONG time ago. And they are GSIF 2 compatible. I wasn't expecting to get that function for GS3 but now I have it. For this reason, my next purchase for an audio card will be from echo. I think that the Gina 3G would be an excellent choice.

I'm also using a very similar setup, except 2 GB ram.
    I use an RME HDSP9632 sound card. Am getting 3ms latency on several large piano libraries with no problems.
    A little more expensive than the average card, buit well worth it IMHO

good luck

I have an RME card as well and no problems at all. The fact that you will be using a dedicated machine to Giga will eliminate 90% of all the problems you read in this forum. I'm no expert but it seems to me that having a dedicated machine is the best way to avoid problems. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info guys....I have considered using only one computer for synth's, sampler, and sequencer, but will post another thread on that question ... I'm sort of confused by the fact that there was a thread about midi not working properly with the RME cards... I'm glad to hear that they are working well with GS3....
    I have been a fan of RME for the longest time, even though until recently they have not been all that Mac friendly ... I've gone long enough without dealing with PC , and while I will not go into a Mac /PC war, I will say that they are both good OS's for what they do and leave it at that ...
    I'm hoping to make the PC learning curve as easy as possible ...I have helped my fiance out numerous times when she had a PC problem, so I know a little about how it work's, but I'm no Bill Gates !!.... I'm picking you kind folks brains to see what will, and what won't work for me ... I guess I should have had my forum name "PC Chicken" ..... Thanks again to all....Sincerely, Jim

There's a bug in Giga 3.0 that installs it's midi interfaces improperly which conflicts with the RME ones. There's a simple workaround.

FlyingRon....Thanks for the heads up on the midi situation on the RME...Jim

How about for a notebook? Im using a Tascam US-122 now, but the latency I just cant get down enough. I mostly use Gigapiano and Hans ZImmer Guitars, so I typically dont have more then maybe 3 or 4 gigs loaded at a given time.

My notebook is a P4 3.2Ghz but I only have 1GB Ram. I have a Maxtor 1-touch 60gb firewire drive and Im wondering how much I might benefit by switching to a firewire audio interface from the USB? If its significant..any reommendations? The thing about the Tascam US-122 is that they have midi built in, so thats one less thing to have to deal with when going mobile.

Go Back to forum