• Register
  • Help

Topic: More RMX info discussions

Share/Bookmark

More RMX info discussions

I ordered RMX last week and I just can't wait for it to show up... been waiting since NAMM!! Anyway - I'm wanting some discussion from beta testers/developers/users regarding some of the new technologies and features. The 2 things I'm most curious about are:

1) Groove Control imports - I'm thrilled about this feature! This is like a dream come true! But I'm curious how the existing GC libs compare to the upcoming expansion packs. I already have back beat so I'll be converting that - but what's the difference in the old version of Backbeat and the new expansion versions? I never did buy metamorphisis (although I've always wanted to) but now that RMX will twist it even more, it's made it back to the top of my list - question is does the full version add anything worth while that the expansion version won't add? And what about libs like Ethno Techno?

2) REX files - I mentioned this in another post but it's probably better to discuss it here. Traditionally the comparrison between a GC lib and a rex file have not even come close. The rex files just aren't up to snuff - which is something Eric has confirmed in the past. So I was a bit surprised to see rex supported. Is this simply because the demand was there? or will RMX actually make rex files sound good?!

These are my thoughts and questions for now. Probably have more later.... can't wait to get it!!

j-

Re: More RMX info discussions

1. No... no difference. I converted Backbeat as well, works like a charm.

2. The big strength I see here is the ability to import a loop of any kind into RMX by converting it to rex. Perhaps we'll see a SAGE converter utility in the future?

No difference as in it's worth waiting for the "expander" versions and not buying a full library? Apparently the expander versions are only going to be $99, which is half the price of the others.... means I could get 2 libraries for the price of 1!

J-

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    No difference as in it's worth waiting for the "expander" versions and not buying a full library? Apparently the expander versions are only going to be $99, which is half the price of the others.... means I could get 2 libraries for the price of 1!

J-
    Eric talked about these questions in earlier posts.

The XPander versions can only be used with RMX (you can think of them as "pre-converted"). The AKAI/GIGA versions could be used outside of RMX. The rationale for the $99 Xpander versions came from the difference between "Audio CD" and "Groove Control" versions of the earlier libraries (Audio CDs were $99, GC versions were $199, therefore the "CG programming" is the extra money). Bottom line, the Xpanders are a great value, and the "SAGE converter" allows you to "re-use" your previous investments in Groove Control libraries.

Ilio Groove Control versions aren't currently supported (like Ethno Techno), but they will be (Spectrasonics is working on them).

Eric has mentioned that the quality of REXX conversions can depend on the type of data being converted. I assume the purpose of REX support is to allow people to import their own "chopped" loops.

Hello Kevin,

Re the Sage Converter, as you probably understood from the post above, it's definitely part of the package!!!

Oh yeah....I know about the SAGE utility included. I'm saying it would be cool to have a utility like recycle that can convert any audio loop.

But this pretty minor for now, considering the endless possibilties included. That would be great advertising for Spectrasonics to statistically figure out the complete number of loop combinations possible with RMX. Over a million I'm guessing?

The sage converter can't convert ethno techno yet? How interesting... I thought it was just an algorithm or something that automatically did it.

Does somebody know which post Eric addressed some of these issues in? I'd appreciate a pointer

J-

In a readme file that comes with RMX it states that Ethno Techno and the other GC libs from Ilio will be supported soon.

Go Back to forum