• Register
  • Help

Topic: VST Flop

Share/Bookmark

VST Flop

After installing the Cakewalk VST Adapter, I used it for a while, the took a break. Now Sonar fails to find the GPO VSTplug-in, although path information is correct and the plug-in is where is should be. I checked instruments & devices, it is no longer there. Frustrating behaviour, stops me dead in my tracks. I have no idea what was the final move I made before the problem. I uninstalled the adapter, re-installed it, and all looks correct. But it doesn't work!

Any thoughts?

Richard Wayland

Re: VST Flop

Hi Richard,
    Seen you over on the SONAR forum. After you reinstalled and reran the VST Adapter scan, did GPO have "Y" appear in the "Enabled" column?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Hi Richard,
    Seen you over on the SONAR forum. After you reinstalled and reran the VST Adapter scan, did GPO have "Y" appear in the "Enabled" column?
    Yes!

Richard Wayland

Richard,
    Somehow I don't think it's the VST adapter. Is it that neither the DXi nor the VSTi shows up in SONAR? This seems like a registry problem of some kind.

Things to try:

1. Run the VST Adapter utility and remove GPO, then rerun and re-add it.
    2. Run the VST adapter utility and remove GPO. Reinstall GPO, which should clear up any possible registry problems with the GPO dlls. Then rerun the VST adapter utility and pick up GPO.

BTW...are you running a configuration where you have multiple user accounts?
    Bill

Richard,
    Somehow I don't think it's the VST adapter. Is it that neither the DXi nor the VSTi shows up in SONAR? This seems like a registry problem of some kind.

Things to try:

2. Run the VST adapter utility and remove GPO. Reinstall GPO, which should clear up any possible registry problems with the GPO dlls. Then rerun the VST adapter utility and pick up GPO.

Did all that before I posted. No multiple user accounts.

I just returned from my ordeal of leaving my hermits hideaway for a shopping expedition. That requires a good rest, some French Roast coffee, and a fresh start. I will probably try Sonar forum or FAQ. The puzzling as well as annoying thing is that it worked great until took a break.

Richard

Richard,

Things to try:

Well, I think the problem is more or less resolved. I did not uninstall correctly, got some silly message that said the program could not continue without at least one VSt selected. So I went to control panel and uninstalled from there.

So now, it seems to function more or less as a DXi except the method of pointing to the VSt seems easire. The remaining problem is that it has crashed Sonar at least three times, requiring one more cup of French Roast coffee.

I don't know if it is correctly configured or installed, but it seems to be working, although I have not tried it except with Steinway Piano, which gave me the low memory warning! Since this should ease the strain on memory, it appears strange to me. I will continue to diddle with it until I understand it a bit more. It is possible that I just don't know what I am doing. The help file does not say much, but that is normal. So, more coffee, more diddling, which is my usual solution. When I was up to my eyebrows and above with communications systems (of a kind that I would love to talk about, but even after 30 years, hesitate), I found that many problems were solved by mucking about in the right area.

Richard

Go Back to forum