• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can I do this ?

Share/Bookmark

Can I do this ?

Hi,
    I am new to the PC world as I have been using a Mac since the day's of a Mac Plus...I am also getting started with Virtual instruments and sampler's as I have used hardware synths and samplers for years...It's a new day !!!..
    I have a few questions for your kind folks....I have a new PC that a forum member built for me ( and did a GREAT job !!) and I originally had it built for a GigaStudio stand alone setup ...Now I'm questioning a few things....Please help me out if you can ....Please also remember, I'm pretty new to all this...I still don't have my sound card picked out for sure yet, as I'm not sure which way to go with that yet ...I'm at least down to RME or Echo with my choices

1) Can I run a sequencer program with Kontakt running in the same computer?

2) Do native format Kontakt files sound better when running Kontakt,or do Giga files running in Kontakt sound better ?

3) Can I run a sequencer program , virtual instruments, AND Kontakt all at the same time in the same computer ?

I've seen that GigaStudio really want's it's own computer to run successfully , and it has me thinking that if I can run more programs to keep things all in one computer, perhap's going with Kontakt is the way to go ... I have heard more Giga samples than I have Kompakt samples, and from what I can hear, the Giga samples really have a better quality to them ....Again, I have not heard THAT MUCH from either program to make an educated guess .... I'm spending a lot of time listenning to samples to better make a decision ...I'm also questioning you folks, as probably most of you have been down this road before ....Thanks so much for your help .....Sincerely, Jim

Re: Can I do this ?

1. Kontakt is best run as a VSTi or virtual instrument so it designed to run effeciently alongside your sequencer on the same PC.

2. This point is mute, since you have to convert Gig files to Kontakt format before using them.

3. Kontakt can be ran as a VSTi or virtual instrument in your sequencer alongside any other VSTi's you may want to run.

Joseph,
    Thanks for the info....Forgive my ignorance ....What is VSTi ?....Is it a format or a virtual instrument or ???.....Thanks, Jim

Sorry, it is a type of virtual instrument that loads into certain sequencers like Cubase. Most high end sequencers are VST. Of course, Kontakt also works as a direct X instrument, audio-units instrument, RTAS instrument, etc.

Thanks.....The format from Stienberg is VST, hence the VST i being a VST format instrument ....Now I'm thinking I may just load Kontakt into my Mac, and then set the PC up for GS3 !!...Then I can have the best of both worlds Thanks again ....I appreciate your time....Sincerely, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    Thanks.....The format from Stienberg is VST, hence the VST i being a VST format instrument ....Now I'm thinking I may just load Kontakt into my Mac, and then set the PC up for GS3 !!...Then I can have the best of both worlds Thanks again ....I appreciate your time....Sincerely, Jim
    A lot of guys do this with great success. I run Kompakt (basically a sample player, arguably Kontakt's little brother) on my Mac (inside DP 4.5) and Giga on a separate PC -- works great.

aplanchard,
    What interface or ?? runs between your mac and your PC to control the midi ?

aplanchard,
    What interface or ?? runs between your mac and your PC to control the midi ?
    The PC has its own audio card (Frontier Design Wavecenter) and midi interface (MOTU Micro Express). The PC audio runs into my Mac audio interface (MOTU 828) via ADAT. The PC midi runs into my Mac midi interface (MOTU Midi XT). My controller is plugged ionto the Midi XT.

Aplanchard,
    I see .....So you DO have to have midi interfaces in both computers ...

I wasn't sure , but I was hoping maybe there would be something by now that would allow ethernet to communicate between the Mac and the PC without having to add a harware interface ...

The Mac that I'm currently running is a Dual 500 G4 with 1 1/2 gig's memory ....I'm running OS 9.2.2 ..
    Will Komtakt or Kompact run OK on this computer of do I really have to go for the G5 ? ....Damn technology !!....I no sooner buy a computer, and it's obsolete before it hit's my doorstep !!....URRRRGH !!!

Thanks a lot for your help.....Sincerely, Jim

Aplanchard,
    I see .....So you DO have to have midi interfaces in both computers ...

I wasn't sure , but I was hoping maybe there would be something by now that would allow ethernet to communicate between the Mac and the PC without having to add a harware interface ...
    I bellieve that FXTeleport now makes a dual platform solution for midi and audio that gets around the need for extra interfaces. Check out his site.

Regarding the Dual 500. Until my upgrade to DP 4.5, I thought I was going to have to by a G5, as my Dual 800 was crawling on 4.12. Now it feels like I have a new computer. Altiverb is also now much more efficient and only takes about 1/3 of my cpu with one instance on the master track. A Dual 500 might be pushing it though. I am trying to stick it out until the Dual 3 gig machines come out. Good luck.

Go Back to forum