• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Question as GPO USer

Share/Bookmark

My First Question as GPO USer

Hello to all,

I recently purchased GPO which followed a lengthy period of my monitoring this forum. I am very pleased to be a part of the GPO family now. Can't tell you how much I've learned just by tuning in on the discussion of the past couple of months. My question is:

There are eight boxes on the Kontakt Player which you assign instruments to each. I record each of the eight instruments on eight separate midi channels in my sequencer (Sonar 2.2). So far, so good.

However, when I insert the second instance of GPO and assign instruments to each box then try to record the first instrument of the second instance onto Channel 9 it does not record. It seems that you should be able to automatically record all eight instruments on the second instance on Channels 9 through 16 without a problem. I must be missing something very basic here. Or else do I need to assign the original 8 tracks (on channels 1 - 8) to audio then start from scratch on the second insertion of GPO???

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Re: My First Question as GPO USer

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J
    Hello to all,

I recently purchased GPO which followed a lengthy period of my monitoring this forum. I am very pleased to be a part of the GPO family now. Can't tell you how much I've learned just by tuning in on the discussion of the past couple of months. My question is:

There are eight boxes on the Kontakt Player which you assign instruments to each. I record each of the eight instruments on eight separate midi channels in my sequencer (Sonar 2.2). So far, so good.

However, when I insert the second instance of GPO and assign instruments to each box then try to record the first instrument of the second instance onto Channel 9 it does not record. It seems that you should be able to automatically record all eight instruments on the second instance on Channels 9 through 16 without a problem. I must be missing something very basic here. Or else do I need to assign the original 8 tracks (on channels 1 - 8) to audio then start from scratch on the second insertion of GPO???

Any help/advice is appreciated.
    Are you sure that you're connecting to the 2nd instance of Kontakt not the 1st?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

'm not sure I understand exactly, and I'm using Sonar 3.
    But this is what I do and it works fine:
    I never use channels 9-16. I use 1-8 on each GPO instance.
    Channel 1 one the first instance is totally separate (not connected midi-ally)from channel 1 on the 2nd (or any other instance) of GPO.
    I guess using channels above 8 should work, but I don't use them.
    Hope this isn't too confusing.

However, when I insert the second instance of GPO and assign instruments to each box then try to record the first instrument of the second instance onto Channel 9 it does not record. It seems that you should be able to automatically record all eight instruments on the second instance on Channels 9 through 16 without a problem.
    Hey, Thomas, and welcome to the family!

Here's what you need to do. For each instance of the player, instruments 1 through 8 are mapped to MIDI channel 1 through 8. So, you'd load the first 8 instruments in the first instance of the Kontakt player, and point your first 8 MIDI tracks, channels 1-8, to that instance.

Now, load a second instance of the player and load another 8 instruments into this one. Next, you'll set up 8 more MIDI tracks for these 8 new instruments. However (and this is what caught me in the beginning too), these next 8 MIDI tracks will once again be assigned to MIDI channels 1-8, just like your first 8 tracks. However, for the second batch of tracks, you'll assign their output to the second instance of the player, not the first. So, in this example, we've got 16 instruments loaded via two instances of the player.

You'll continue in this fashion when you load instance 3 through 8 of the Kontakt player. For each new group of instruments, you'll point them to the appropriate instance of the player, and then use MIDI channels 1-8 to talk to that instance's instruments. In other words, when talking to GPO, you never use MIDI channels 9-16.

Looking forward to hearing some of your music!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thomas, I can't wait to hear what GPO sounds like in your hands. I've enjoyed your compositions with other libraries for so long now. Good luck.

Also, the midi channel assignment issues is a known problem. You should have no issue using channels 1-8 on each instance loaded since each player is taken independantly of the others.

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm sure the suggestions will do the trick. Also, Joseph, I am extremely flattered by your welcome but I haven't done any work with other libraries so you must have me confused with someone far more accomplished that I am.

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm sure the suggestions will do the trick. Also, Joseph, I am extremely flattered by your welcome but I haven't done any work with other libraries so you must have me confused with someone far more accomplished that I am.
    That's our Joseph - easily confused. Probably has something to do with the hour and ten minutes of sleep he gets every night...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Sorry, I had you confused with Thomas_J, which is someone else completely. The post count should have alerted me otherwise. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Sorry, I had you confused with Thomas_J, which is someone else completely. The post count should have alerted me otherwise. Duh.
    That's what you get for staying up all night on GPO thingies...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

hee hee.

That's what I get for only getting 3 hours of sleep a night.

Go Back to forum