• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which motherboard?

Question Which motherboard?

I'm finally about to start purchasing the parts for my dedicated Giga PC. I see that a popular motherboard around here is the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.

I'm at Pricewatch.com doing a search for this particular motherboard and I get a few different variations of this board. I'm a Mac guy so I'm not too PC literate (especially when it comes to the nuts and bolts). Are there specific specs that I should be looking for?

Re: Which motherboard?

I did a little research on this, and have one each of the deluxes: the P4C800-E, P4C800, P4C800-E Deluxe, and P4C800 Deluxe. The P4c800-E Deluxe has Intel lan, as opposed to P4C800 Deluxe with 3Com Lan.

For my 'deluxes': the 3Com Lan (non-E) works perfectly, the Intel Lan (-E) does not work for me, don't know whether it's a configuration or board problem. The -E Deluxe includes a game port adapter (connects in a slot position to give you a serial connector); the non-E does not have this adapter, but the manual says you can buy it. So, if you have a midi interface that requires a game port serial connector, the -E Deluxe is useful.

Otherwise, the 'Deluxes' are almost identical; don't know what the non-deluxe doesn't have, however.

Go Back to forum