• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Libs on my To Get list ... still worth getting?

Share/Bookmark

Sample Libs on my To Get list ... still worth getting?

I'm thinking about getting some new sample libraries. I've had these 3 on my list for awhile... I just want to make sure they haven't been replaced with better libraries!

1. LOP
    2. Rare Instruments (QL)
    3. Voices of The Apocalypse

Are these all still worth purchasing?

Thanks.

Re: Sample Libs on my To Get list ... still worth getting?

Have #1 and 3. Would still buy VOTA as there will be a next edition coming Q1 2005 that should have an upgrade path. LOP is a good percussion library but a little long in the tooth. Check out Maarten's Sam's percussion. You might as well go for the latest greatest. Like what I hear on RI, but do not own.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Smile Re: Sample Libs on my To Get list ... still worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Have #1 and 3. Would still buy VOTA as there will be a next edition coming Q1 2005 that should have an upgrade path. LOP is a good percussion library but a little long in the tooth. Check out Maarten's Sam's percussion. You might as well go for the latest greatest. Like what I hear on RI, but do not own.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Also Rare II is coming out with all the instruments from Rare I and many more. I'm not sure if there will be an upgrade path (there usually is).

Cheers,

Christiaan

Thanks for the help - I definitely think True Strike is the one to get.

What a monster!

I don't have VOTA, so I can't comment - but I have both the other libs.

LOP is a great library, but I'm not sure it's still worth the $$$. if you have any of the other perc libs you probably shouldn't spend the $400 (if I remember right) for LOP. GPO has a pretty good collection of perc, and if you have the EWQLSO Silver or Gold you have a pretty good cross section. I still use LOP because I have it, and it's been great, but I really only use it for a few sounds anymore. If you haven't got the free perc set from Westgate, be sure to grab it. It's a great little collection.

RI is a very good unique collection. Depending on what sounds you need it is in many cases the only collection of it's kind. My understanding (you may want to post this on the East West forum) is RI2 will include everything from RI and then a ton more - and I think it will be wrapped into a kontakt player. I vaguely recall an 8+ gig collection that's coming for RI2. I think those of us who already spent the $$$ on RI will have a very good upgrade path into RI2, that's my understanding.

If you're really needing winds, don't forget to check our World Winds from Ilio - I actually use that more than RI for ethnic wind sounds - and it's less than half the price

J-

I am really surprised that as bigger and better products come out, some developers don't adjust their pricing structure to reflect the market.

For example, advanced orchestra is still $550, when you have products like GPO and QLSO that are so much more "advanced" (intended pun) this makes no sense to me. Miroslav is still $2500 and with all due respect to Mr. Vitous, it can't hold a candle to QLSO Platinum or VSL which are essentially in the same range.

It seems like thes products should be in the $199 to $499 range....weird....any thoughts?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum