• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I've heard this before . . . .

Share/Bookmark

Talking I've heard this before . . . .

Does that ever happen to you? Your just listening to some random piece of music when a movement comes up that you realize is famous and you've heard if before, but never knew it came from what you were listening to?

I just listened to Aaron Copland's 3rd Symphony (man, I'd love to be able to write a symphony like that), and when the last movement came up, I gasped I didn't know this theme came from Copland's symphony! It's that music I always here on TV when they're talking sports victories usually. How cool! Will the wonders ever cease?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: I've heard this before . . . .

Happens to me a bunch. What sucks is when you make a song the night/week before, and then you go to listen to it again and realize, "I've heard this before..."
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Happens to me a bunch. What sucks is when you make a song the night/week before, and then you go to listen to it again and realize, "I've heard this before..."
    that's why I haven't tried to write anything original, ha, what does that mean anyway "original" right
    too depressing.

Ah, who cares, great composers steal right? But I guess that doesn't mean stealers are great composers . . . Probably better not steal until you know you are great, I guess.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Yes. Then I try to rack my brain until I remember. Hate when I forget something of that nature.

I think this is the reason why the music industry depresses me right now.... It seems liek all of the "new" music that is coming out sounds exactly the same. Am I the only person who feels this way?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    I think this is the reason why the music industry depresses me right now.... It seems liek all of the "new" music that is coming out sounds exactly the same. Am I the only person who feels this way?
    This happens to me a LOT - I usually figure it out, but not until I have stopped racking my brains trying to remember it.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    This happens to me a LOT - I usually figure it out, but not until I have stopped racking my brains trying to remember it.

Jerry
    Ok, good. I wasn't sure if I had gone crazy or not...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Does that ever happen to you? Your just listening to some random piece of music when a movement comes up that you realize is famous and you've heard if before, but never knew it came from what you were listening to?

I just listened to Aaron Copland's 3rd Symphony (man, I'd love to be able to write a symphony like that), and when the last movement came up, I gasped I didn't know this theme came from Copland's symphony! It's that music I always here on TV when they're talking sports victories usually. How cool! Will the wonders ever cease?

Sean, the interesting thing about this comment is I think copland had heard it before his 3rd symphony too! If I recall from my last reading of the liner notes (probably a couple years ago) the "Fanfare" was written several years before the symphony, and for some reason he felt the need to include it in his 3rd movement. Some other music history buff could correct this if I'm wrong.

The really funny thing is now, after spending several months in a row on a similar project, I find myself writing something and saying "i think i've heard that before... who wrote that... who wrote that..... oh my gosh, that's my tune! i wrote that 4 weeks ago... shoot, I can't use that.... I've already written it.... well, if I hadn't already written it I would have written it just right now... hmmm... can I do it backwards......"

J-

The little CD booklet says this:

The fanfare that opens the last movement, and that is developed in its course, began as the Fanfare for the Common Man. He had written the fanfare as a contribution to the allied war effort on commission from Sir Eugene Goossens, who was then the Music Director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. As an independent piece, it succeeded beyond Compland's wildest imagination, becoming as obligatory for joyful occasions in the United States as Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings would become for solemn ones.
    Of course, a couple years ago, a string of beef ads began featuring his music, and a whole new association was born: Rodeo: Hoe-Down = Beef. It's what for dinner.

Gotta love it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum