• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ambience reverb on a Mac

Share/Bookmark

Ambience reverb on a Mac

I have GPO installed on my PC, but not on my Mac. I use the Mac for Digital Performer. I know two installations are allowed from each purchase of GPO but here's my question. If I install GPO on the Mac along with Ambience reverb, would I be able to use it as a plug-in reverb in DP without using GPO?

Thanks, DPDan

Re: Ambience reverb on a Mac

Yes, I think so.

Ambience is available as an Audio Unit plugin, albeit without the nice GUI of the VST version (I think the AU is included now with GPO installer??). Even if you don't own GPO, it is donation-ware, so just download it from smartelectronix and send Magnus a few bucks to get a version without the nag screen. I use it with DP4 all the time with or without GPO.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    Ambience is available as an Audio Unit plugin, albeit without the nice GUI of the VST version (I think the AU is included now with GPO installer??). Even if you don't own GPO, it is donation-ware, so just download it from smartelectronix and send Magnus a few bucks to get a version without the nag screen. I use it with DP4 all the time with or without GPO.

Brian
    Brian,
    Do you know if the AU Ambiance can be used with GPO Studio. I thought to use it in place of the VST version of Ambiance. I use GPO and GPO Studio in AU but I am sure I have the VST Ambiance installed. I think that the AU version would be consuming less CPU, at least would be more efficient on the Mac.
    If it works, how to install it?
    Louis

thank you Brian, I'll try that

Brian what is a GUI? I do own GPO, and I did load the Ambience components into audio/plugins/ but it is not showing up in the drop down box with the other plugins. Can you help? thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I have GPO installed on my PC, but not on my Mac. I use the Mac for Digital Performer. I know two installations are allowed from each purchase of GPO but here's my question. If I install GPO on the Mac along with Ambience reverb, would I be able to use it as a plug-in reverb in DP without using GPO?

Thanks, DPDan
    May I ask how your PC is connected to the MAC (i.e.,is only MIDI transmitted; what hardware) and is it working fine?

Thanks,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    May I ask how your PC is connected to the MAC (i.e.,is only MIDI transmitted; what hardware) and is it working fine?

Thanks,

Ed
    GPO runs on the PC which has an RME HDSP 9652 soundcard. The soundcard has ADAT lightpipe connections which connect to a MOTU 828 MKII which is connected to the MAC via firwire. I got the Ambience plug-in working and although it sounds decent, it hogs way too much CPU to use. Thanks for the help.
    DPDan

Quote Originally Posted by Ludovic
    Do you know if the AU Ambiance can be used with GPO Studio. I thought to use it in place of the VST version of Ambiance. I use GPO and GPO Studio in AU but I am sure I have the VST Ambiance installed. I think that the AU version would be consuming less CPU, at least would be more efficient on the Mac. If it works, how to install it?
    No, I believe GPOStudio supports only VST, and besides I seriously doubt that there is much difference in efficiency. I have compared Ambience loaded in DP as and AU and as a VST via AudioEase VSTWrapper, and there is not any appreciable difference in CPU load.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDan
    Brian what is a GUI? I do own GPO, and I did load the Ambience components into audio/plugins/ but it is not showing up in the drop down box with the other plugins.
    GUI = Graphical User Interface. The AU version of Ambience just has generic sliders for parameters.

the Ambience AU should be placed in <volume>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components. It shows up in the DP insert list as "Magnus @ Smartelectronix: Ambience". If you still don't see it, quit DP and trash this file: /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer/Audio Unit Info Cache. When you re-launch DP it will scan all of your AUs again.

Yea, I got it going yesterday, thanks. It's not worth the CPU useage, I figured out the GUI thing when Ambience loaded and it looked just like the Apple reverb settings. I have an awesome old Lexicon 200 that I bought new back in the mid 80's for about $4000.00 and I use it when it sounds better than the TC Powercore Firewire. The TC sounds good, but the Lexicon simply smokes the TC on some projects.
    Later
    DPDan

Go Back to forum