• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be using!!

Share/Bookmark

Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be using!!

Guys, I just came across something so great I just had to share it with y'all. I'm gonna help y'all make y'all's sequences sound like even MORE realistic.

I'm not knockin' ya Garritan team, but I can tell you right now that once you do this you'll NEVER use GPO the same way. Check this out...

I've been mastering my demos for like WEEKS now (even ever since before I sent out the unmastered demos). EQing, compressing, trying my damndest to make GPO sound as close to my classical CD's as humanly possible. I was comparing my own sequences against the best recorded classical CD's I could find ANYWHERE (mainly this one BRAND NEW DIGITALLY RECORDED CD from Sony Classical). I have found an EQ setup that will completely ROCK GPO's WORLD. It will make your sequences sound SO MUCH BETTER. Check it!

For this you are going to need to have at least a 4 band parametric Equalizer (most of the sequencers y'all use I KNOW has at least a 4 band parametric EQ.)

Here are the settings....

BAND 1

Freq: 66.18 Hz
    Q: 2.10
    Gain: 3.0 db

BAND 2

Freq: 1004.19
    Gain: -4.80

BAND 3

Freq: 4361.26
    Q: 3.40
    Gain: 2.40

BAND 4

Freq: 8845
    Q: 2.70
    Gain: -6.60

Remember! ALWAYS apply EQ AFTER the reverb so that the reverb can also benefit from your EQ settings. This setup MIGHT be a bit bassy for some so you might need to adjust some things on the first band or turn your bass instruments down (I'd go with the latter).

If you have any questions, please just leave them for me to answer tommorrow. I'm very tired and have to get up in the morning, heh. Hope that helps!

Question Re: Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be using!!

Should this be added on the master, or per section?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be usi

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves
    Guys, I just came across something so great I just had to share it with y'all. I'm gonna help y'all make y'all's sequences sound like even MORE realistic.

I'm not knockin' ya Garritan team, but I can tell you right now that once you do this you'll NEVER use GPO the same way. Check this out...

I've been mastering my demos for like WEEKS now (even ever since before I sent out the unmastered demos). EQing, compressing, trying my damndest to make GPO sound as close to my classical CD's as humanly possible. I was comparing my own sequences against the best recorded classical CD's I could find ANYWHERE (mainly this one BRAND NEW DIGITALLY RECORDED CD from Sony Classical). I have found an EQ setup that will completely ROCK GPO's WORLD. It will make your sequences sound SO MUCH BETTER. Check it!

For this you are going to need to have at least a 4 band parametric Equalizer (most of the sequencers y'all use I KNOW has at least a 4 band parametric EQ.)

Here are the settings....

BAND 1

Freq: 66.18 Hz
    Gain: 3.0 db

BAND 2

Freq: 1004.19
    Gain: -4.80

BAND 3

Freq: 4361.26
    Q: 3.40
    Gain: 2.40

BAND 4

Freq: 8845
    Q: 2.70
    Gain: -6.60

Remember! ALWAYS apply EQ AFTER the reverb so that the reverb can also benefit from your EQ settings. This setup MIGHT be a bit bassy for some so you might need to adjust some things on the first band or turn your bass instruments down (I'd go with the latter).

If you have any questions, please just leave them for me to answer tommorrow. I'm very tired and have to get up in the morning, heh. Hope that helps!
    Looks like you found some useful EQ settings for your project. Just my opinion, I'd be a little hesitant to recommend that people apply these to every GPO mix as sort of an EQ fix. Every mix is going to be a little different, and the correct EQ will depend upon the instruments selected and how they are used in combination, whether or not instruments occupy the same frequency range, etc. I'd also be careful bumping up the low frequencies, especially as much as 3 dB, there's plenty going on in the basement already, even a few things below 40Hz to be aware of/roll off. You can observe problem areas in your mixes by viewing a spectrum analyzer, or better yet, using a program like HarBal. You'll see that each one is a little different. Be careful!

Jim

Re: Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be usi

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    You can observe problem areas in your mixes by viewing a spectrum analyzer, or better yet, using a program like HarBal.
    Jim
    Now THERE is an interesting tip! Har-Bal: never heard of it! But I looked around the net and it looks VERY interesting! I just got interested in spectrum analyzers, but this seems even better! Pity the demo is only 8-bit though... But it isn't too expensive so... I will surely give this one a try. (Not as much on my GPO stuff but more on my rock-creations.) Thanks for dropping that name here!

Quote Originally Posted by hellogood
    Now THERE is an interesting tip! Har-Bal: never heard of it! But I looked around the net and it looks VERY interesting! I just got interested in spectrum analyzers, but this seems even better! Pity the demo is only 8-bit though... But it isn't too expensive so... I will surely give this one a try. (Not as much on my GPO stuff but more on my rock-creations.) Thanks for dropping that name here!
    You'll love it. Not a substitute for a great mastering engineer with great equipment, but it certainly works well for putting the final sheen on things. There's a bit of a learning curve to get it right, but the program is very user-friendly. Have to use it very carefully, or you can end up adding things that aren't meant to be there. A good final check after you think you have the mix right listening in the monitors. I jumped in and bought it without using the demo, there's even a 30-day money back guarantee. Kept mine.

Jim

I've spend the last hour reading reviews and stuff about Har-Bal and I have to say I'm very surprised it only costs 95 dollars! It's almost too cheap, compared to other maserting-products out there! Craig Anderton seems te LOVE it to death and uses it for all his mastering (only Har-Bal with some special limiting afterwards)! If they sold it for 350 dollars I wouldn't have been surprised (but disappointed because that would be too much for me: 95 bucks is an amount of money which isn't hard to get over!)

P.S. I just looked at the Har-bal-site and saw that in Euro's (I'm Dutch) it's a mere 78.56! Man, this is a steal!

Would Har-Bal and a good limiter be enough to do the job? Like Anderton says...? I fooled around with Ozone for a while on a friends computer and like it a lot, though it was pretty complicated here and there. Ozone is too expensive for me so I thought good (amateur-)masters were not in my reach. But now, maybe... Or am I expecting too much from Har-Bal now...?

P.S. 2 What I REALLY like (when I read is) is that loudness compensation! I always have trouble with getting things mixed and mastered because of this: like in Ozone things sound better just because it's louder! This Har-Bal feature seems pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by hellogood
    Would Har-Bal and a good limiter be enough to do the job? Like Anderton says...? I fooled around with Ozone for a while on a friends computer and like it a lot, though it was pretty complicated here and there. Ozone is too expensive for me so I thought good (amateur-)masters were not in my reach. But now, maybe... Or am I expecting too much from Har-Bal now...?
    Har-Bal and a (very) little bit of limiting can get you very far. Like I said, not a substitute for a great mastering engineer (with fresh ears and a new perspective to boot), but people are using this to successfully master their own projects. I find that my mixes translate very well. IMO money very well spent, and unless you're expecting to be on the top 40 with Platinum sales, probably capable of handling your mastering requirements.

Jim

Interesting discussion here, but Mistahamma is right. No set EQ is the answer to mastering a project. And certainly not compression. Indeed this setting worked well for Craig's project. It is nice to see folks sharing their experiences, but using these settings without specifying what EQ was used is very dangerous. Of course in an A-B test they will sound different, but different almost never means right and wrong, just different. There have been too many articles in music magazines interviewing popular mastering engineers telling all their secrets. When the most important element that can not be bought is ears and experience. There is no generic piece of mastering gear or plugin that fixes all the harsh mixes no matter what these articles "in print" tell you. Manufacturers thrive on making tons of boxes that will "fix the mix" or, give your mix that "edge", and want professional results? use this "all in one" box.

Dan

Lightbulb Re: Ooh wee! I just made GPO sound better them high dollar libraries them pros be using!!

My $0.02:

I took a piece that I had previously produced without any special EQ approaches and cut a new master WAV file with the numbers that Craig supplied. If you want to "A-B" I've set up a "Trials Page".

I work in Cubase SX and I'm a little confused about whether the standard EQ is applied before or after (and there doesn't seem to be any way to indicate or change that, unless I'm missing something obvious, which happens). It also seems to me that the negative numbers for 1004 Hz and 8845 Hz are rather high, but I've taken them at face value.

Compare the versions for yourself and see if you can "hear" the difference. (Of course, if you're hearing in "LoFi" the differences may be marginal. As usual, the WMAs are at 64K and the MP3s are at 60K.) Post your hearing tests here.

KevinKauai

KevinKauai -> the non-EQ version on your site brings up LVB_Adaogio... instead of the non-EQ Einstein.

Craig - thanks for posting your find.

Go Back to forum