My copy of Stylus RMX arrived today and, after watching all the tutorial videos, I have spent several hours playing with it.
First off, it is fantastic - a really great achievment and I am certain I am going to get a LOT of use out of it. Much kudos to Eric and all at Spectrasonics!
Got a bunch of questions, feedback and stuff though. I hope these aren't ALL too obvious and been covered elsewhere. No particular order.
1. switching between kitmode and multi mode wipes everything in the current mode without warning. I lost half an hour's noodlings when I switched to kit mode to have a play. There should be a prompt to save the exisiting multi or kit when you switch mode.
2. I wish there was a way to "jam" a performance in groove menu mode and then somehow switch mode, convert the recorded midi parts and have access to the slices for more detailed editing. I guess this would be complicated and I don't know how it could be implemented.
3. browser should stay on the last selected page when you switch to an empty part. At the moment, when you switch part you have to go through the menus each time.
4. what is the "settings" button above the "Elements" pane in the browser?
5. It would be good if, by default, the grooves, where appropriate had pre-defined edit groups for e.g. kick, snare, hats (or appropriate edit groups for the particular loop groove). I guess this would have required a lot of programming, though.
6. The sounds menus only work in "slice menu" mode but there is no warning of this. I think: either, when you select "sound menus" the mode should switch to "slice menu" automatically, or it should give you a warning dialogue "use SLICE MENU mode" (as it does if you try to "capture" in the Chaos editor page, or it should just ignore the mode when you select "sound menus" and work regardless of which mode you are in.
7. Can velocity modify the filter?
8. "Jump" jumps you to your user favourites suite. This is great. What would be really good would be, if you pressed JUMP again it "jumped" back to the sound menu you were on before.
9. Is there a manual? I couldn't find it, just the tutorials.
That's all for now. I'm having trouble understanding exactly how CAPTURE on the chaos page works - which randomisations are "printed" to the midi part and which are not, whether you then need to switch off the chaos editor or not and when you capture, how much will be captured and from when. Probably needs another thread
Once again, great work! Wicked bit of kit!