• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Sundance advice!!

Share/Bookmark

Need Sundance advice!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hey folks..

I plan on going to the Sundance Film Festival in January. I know ZILCH about the best time to go (it spans Jan 20-30th..a wide range!). I gotta save money for GDC 2005, so I can't go nuts here.. but Sundance is fairly important too.

Any help would be awesome.. please contact me via private message.

Re: Need Sundance advice!!

Sam- if you're going for a film that you're involved with, you should find out when it's screening and go then. otherwise, i recommend you go towards the beginning, as it's a pretty intense atmosphere, and i think people get kinda burned out towards the end.

that last part is speculation tho. the two times i've been i went for the first few days and was pretty burnt by the time i left. also, i went last year, and it was hard to get tickets to anything good, so try to get them ahead of time if you can.

oh, and bring a HEAVY coat. especially if you're a warm weather wus like us californians.

have fun!
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Cool, John..thanks for the tips. When you say get "tickets to anything good" early... tickets to what exactly?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

heh heh - the FILMS that are part of the FILM festival silly. unless your talking about the Sundance chicken farm festival.

unless you buy one of the pricey packages, there is a small window of a day or two when tickets go on sale to the general public that you can pick some up. check their website for details. otherwise, plan on standing in some LONG wait list lines in the cold if you want to see any of the movies.

getting into the cornucopia of "parties" is the other typical sundance goal for the would be schmoozer. can't offer much advice there other than talk to people everywhere you go, and be prepared to be "resourceful" to get in.

try to stay in town on the bus route too if you can. getting around in the traffic and snow can be a be-atch.

/j
    John DeBorde

OK. I'm going there because I scored a short film that's gonna be there. So.. do I still have to get a ticket to see it? Aren't the creators/producers of a film allowed entry?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

first of all-congratulations Sam! what a great credit. the filmakers will get some tickets, but make sure that they set one aside for you. the festival runs several theaters that operate just like any other movie theater, so i wouldn;t count on showing up on the door and getting in on the "hey i worked on this film" angle. in my experience the shorts programs are usually one of the easier tickets, tho.
    John DeBorde

Thanks John

Actually, I think the film producers may not be able to make it.. heh The DIRECTOR should though, dammit. I need to find out more. I'm just kinda panicking because I don't wanna miss out on this opportunity. And if it comes down to deciding between Sundance 2005 and GDC 2005.... I'd have to say adios to Sundance.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam, Sundance is a blast and you may not get another chance to go when you've got a film in the festival, but if you're looking to get work, GDC is probably more practical.

ask around tho, don;t just listen to me.

"trust your instincts"
    -some old jedi dude

/j
    John DeBorde

Go Back to forum