• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL users please help...

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb VSL users please help...

Hi,
    Im considering buy some Vienna product(opus 1/Epic horns) - I need to do some fast strings/woodwinds passages and repetition/legato tool looks like only way.
    BUT!: If I understand it well - tools are working only realtime - you must play a keyboard?!?
    Im not pianist - and I will never be able to play something complex on keyboard - I always more write notes directly into sequencer.
    SO - is there way to use legato tool with no need to play keyboard? Because that is very limiting.

Thanks to all for answers

Re: VSL users please help...

It works i realtime. But, of course, you can also feed it with your sequencer.

You can adjust the length of the legato intervals by simply adjusting the hang over of each MIDI note. Like in sonar you just highlight the notes and select the MIDI tool length and then add about 1% length to the notes and you will have a more smooth legato.

Beeson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    You can adjust the length of the legato intervals by simply adjusting the hang over of each MIDI note. Like in sonar you just highlight the notes and select the MIDI tool length and then add about 1% length to the notes and you will have a more smooth legato.

Beeson
    This hangover adjustment sounds like a great invention. I'm new to VSL and haven't yet really been able to test it properly but isn't the note length adjusting something you have to do only with traditional libraries without legato samples and tools?

Hmmm.... thing i really need to know is - if i write the notes into cubase directly - will legato works - or it works only whne you record via Keyboard??

That´s what I tried to confirm.

But I agree, an automatic hangover adjustment would be a great feature...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Are you getting the GigaStudio version? For sure, that will work. For other versions, you'll have to ask someone else.

Bruce: yes, Gigastudio Version. So I don´t need keyboard to make legato with tool? (I know Im dumb...but want be sure...)

Quote Originally Posted by handz
    Hmmm.... thing i really need to know is - if i write the notes into cubase directly - will legato works - or it works only whne you record via Keyboard??
    Here's one way:

Write all the notes into your sequencer. Then use your mouse to select them all. Open your midi event window, find a note and click and hold, then scroll to where the note slightly overlap. Then close the window.

There may be some instances where the overlap is not desired. You'll need to edit those notes. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    Here's one way:

Write all the notes into your sequencer. Then use your mouse to select them all. Open your midi event window, find a note and click and hold, then scroll to where the note slightly overlap. Then close the window.

There may be some instances where the overlap is not desired. You'll need to edit those notes. HTH.
    I think you are confusing two different approaches to legato. The VSL legato includes samples where the player changes a note to another and the Performance Tool applies the samples automatically where needed. The real time operation of the Performance Tool means that you don't have to bounce or by any other means process the data off-line but it works as you or your sequencer plays the MIDI data. Right?

I assume that most of the people doing MIDI orchestration aren't real keyboard players and use a computer to edit what they have played or even do their passages by adding notes one by one with a mouse. The Performance Tool of course works with the sequencer even without a MIDI keyboard, it doesn't limit your music to your limited keyboard playing skills.

Go Back to forum