• Register
  • Help

Topic: going back and forth between the old and new versions

Share/Bookmark

going back and forth between the old and new versions

I installed the new update recently. The sounds seems more explosive and aggressive which may be helpful in fast, aggressive passages, but i like the older version for slow flutes and other slower legato passages. Is there a way to access both versions, the updated instruments and the original ones?
    jgyoungmd

Re: going back and forth between the old and new versions

jgyoungmd,

You had me puzzled on this one. While there are certainly more aggressive instrument choices in the update, the standard flute V patch is essentially identical to the older one (with the length control and VAR changes added to the new one). These and a couple of other very minor changes in the programming should have had no particular impact on the impression of aggressiveness. I've just now completed a comparison that didn't reveal any particularly obvious changes between the older and the new version, even in an A/B test.

Whatever. Now, to your question: Sure you can have access to the older version of any instrument if you like. A Backup folder is created in the GPO Library folder when you install the update. All older instruments are placed in that folder. Just navigate to the backup location of the old instrument and re-name the desired instrument slightly then copy it to the proper sub-folder location of the main library (e.g. Dry/Woodwinds/Flutes). The old instrument will then appear in the list under the modified name.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    jgyoungmd,

You had me puzzled on this one. While there are certainly more aggressive instrument choices in the update, the standard flute V patch is essentially identical to the older one (with the length control and VAR changes added to the new one). These and a couple of other very minor changes in the programming should have had no particular impact on the impression of aggressiveness. I've just now completed a comparison that didn't reveal any particularly obvious changes between the older and the new version, even in an A/B test.

Whatever. Now, to your question: Sure you can have access to the older version of any instrument if you like. A Backup folder is created in the GPO Library folder when you install the update. All older instruments are placed in that folder. Just navigate to the backup location of the old instrument and re-name the desired instrument slightly then copy it to the proper sub-folder location of the main library (e.g. Dry/Woodwinds/Flutes). The old instrument will then appear in the list under the modified name.

Tom
    i recorded the first version done with overture se with GPO studio 1.2 and a modified one of the first version, transferring the midi file from Overture se to Sonar 4. I think i used the same instruments for both. I did notice there was a distinct change in the quality of the sound in sonar when i altered the buffer size in sonar. Too small buffer and i would have skips, but too large I would also have trouble with the sound. so it might not have been the instruments in GPO update. Could transferring midi from one program to another make that much difference? I would send the files but i am not quite sure how to do that with the forum.
    jgyoungmd

Go Back to forum