• Register
  • Help

Topic: My thoughts on this election

Share/Bookmark

My thoughts on this election

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Well, 2004's craziness has come and gone. Here are some of my thoughts:

1 - 5pm yesterday, I had entered depression mode with zogby's poll results, and other exit polls. The entire exit poll process will now be called into question, and in the future I will treat them with a lot less respect.

2 - Kerry's gracious departure was a feather in his cap, and perhaps the best action on his part this entire campaign.

3 - Despite the surprising turn of events, with the electoral college, the popular vote, and changes in congress, Bush has a lot to do. My recommendation would be immediately to move with democrats to work on new co-sponsored legislation.

4 - You have not seen, nor will you see, any gloating from me on this election here. In fact, I was already planning a concession post of my own yesterday. I see no point in rubbing anything in. I recognize the Dems strong feelings about their position, and I respect it. But here is where I differ from some here - rather than blame "Bushies" for this, I think the Democrats, and those in that party represented here, need to realize that their message, however passionate, however much-believed, simply does not connect with the majority of the population at this time. It's not to say that it can't, hasn't, or shouldn't. Just that it didn't this time. It's not about fraud. Or election stealing. It's about the message.

I believe the Democrat party has to retool itsself, get rid of some of the veterans like McCauliffe, and move to embrace the 'new democrat' approach popularized by the likes of Clinton. For example, I am a fan of Obama - he's a democrat that will criticize his own party when necessary. He's a rising star, and very well may be the nation's first black president. I DON'T believe that Hillary in '08 will be good, for the same polarizing reasons that have the dems where they are now. It's time for new blood and life in that party, and perhaps they can shine again in the future!

Eric
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Re: My thoughts on this election

Thanks, Eric. Very nice post.

Yes, Obama rocks! I wasn't surprised he beat Keyes... Keyes is a raving lunatic who would've destroyed Illinois, and even his fellow Republicans knew it. Keyes needs to be put in a straight jacket and locked away. Have you seen him give speeches? He looks more like an evangelistic preacher than a politician.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Jesus, you mean you voted for that retard?

Thanks for helping to make the world a much more dangerous place. Not gloating? You don't have to, you've done enough damage already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    But here is where I differ from some here - rather than blame "Bushies" for this, I think the Democrats, and those in that party represented here, need to realize that their message, however passionate, however much-believed, simply does not connect with the majority of the population at this time.
    I'm sorry, but do you honestly think millions of people braved bad weather and stood in line for up to ten hours in order to vote Bush BACK into office? Do you really think a high voter turn out resulted in a Republican win rather than a Demcratic win as history has shown?

Even Tucker ultra-conservative Carlson said yesterday afternoon that people don't stand for hours in the rain to vote for an encumbant.

It just doesn't happen. Not without a little "nudge." And that nudge is called Diebold.

Democrats didn't START connecting with our party until we went back to the core democratic values that Howard Dean and John Kerry represented -- and we came out stronger than we have in forty years in support of those values.

So, I appreciate you telling us Democrats what we need to do, but let me give conservatives a little advice. You need to do whatever you can to impeach this fascist election-stealing neocon administration and find a TRUE conservative to represent your party.

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Keyes is a raving lunatic who would've destroyed Illinois, and even his fellow Republicans knew it. Keyes needs to be put in a straight jacket and locked away. Have you seen him give speeches? He looks more like an evangelistic preacher than a politician.
    I agree - there were several things he said during his campaign that were way out of line. He's in the ilk of Ann Coulter.
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Eric I think your remarks are very gracious. I appreciate them. It is indeed a difficult time for me and others. I do see Mr. Obama in our future, and, in fact, the election of Bush may set the stage for this. If more republicans like you would reach out, there is a helping hand that waits.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Eric I think your remarks are very gracious. I appreciate them. It is indeed a difficult time for me and others. I do see Mr. Obama in our future, and, in fact, the election of Bush may set the stage for this. If more republicans like you would reach out, there is a helping hand that waits.
    Brian - lemme tell ya - I LIKE Obama. I really do. To be honest, I don't know his positions in detail, but I like him as a person and a leader. I would consider voting for him, easily, if he ran. He has the "uniter" mentality, it appears to me, that Colin Powell could have had, had he run in 2000.
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

I really have come to like Kerry alot more after all this. For two reasons.

1. He did the right thing in waiting on the returns to come in and did not give up until the end. That was the right thing to do and he handled it so perfectly and with class. After all that work & support, he owed his supporters and the country that.

2. Once the numbers did not add up, he did not put the nation through another courtroom battle along with all the misery and uncertainty (and stock market woes) with it. (Not to mention the message these problems would send to the world when we are at war AND trying to get elections going in those contries)

That was heroic and I'm very proud of him.

I did not like him at first and in the end, I did not vote for him either.
    Just shows, you got to get to know a person before you judge them too much. At this point, even though I disagreed with him and his platform, I came away liking him as a person (despite some of his past alleged actions in the 70s) and I will miss his presence on TV. Dean also seemed like a decent fellow. Hopefully we will see more of him in the future.

Dave.

Go Back to forum