• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What do you think of this mix...???

Share/Bookmark

What do you think of this mix...???

As well, what do you think of the writing? Did I F' something up? If so, what?

http://www.lofinksound.com/Fireworks...Lake_page.html

BTW-- this is pretty different "for me"... the style that is...

KID-

Re: What do you think of this mix...???

Cool!! I like the glissando effect you have going on the strings a lot. It gives it a slightly oriental flavor.

As for the mix, I'd say nothing is obviously wrong with it, like in the sense of being F'ed up . As a matter of personal taste I think it could stand to have a little cut in the mids, say around 800hz or something. High end is good. The snare could be a little crisper for my taste. And maybe the panning on the strings is a little too hard. Like I said that's all just personal taste stuff. I like!!

What all are we hearing on this??

Hey Kid,

I thought it sounded really good. I couldn't hear the cellos that well though. It left a little emptiness between the violins and the basses. Other than that, it was excellent.

Jonathan
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Kid,

Its an original comp, nice ideas.

I'll tell you my personal thoughts, take them not so seriously and ...please dont ban me :

- Mix: the first thing that comes out is that many percussions are more close than strings, and this is a bit unnatural to me. Percs are far on the stage. Try cutting freqs on mid-low and on highs at about 8K to send them back, and apply a little more reverb than strings.

- Mix: overall the sound is more "large" than " in depth". did you use some stereo enhancer? I mean, the mix can be so large, but somehow I prefer it more back, so to give the impression of listening as in a theatre, so to attenuate the panning effect and have a more dark and realistic result.

- Strings: I feel you need some legato and attack adjusting on strings at the beginning and on counterpoint staccato lines. Also you can try to obtain a more rounded sound with eq. A way sometimes i use is to add a parametric eq, take one freq slot, turn high the gain (+6/+8) and move the freq wheel until I find the freq that contain the more unnatural synth-sounding feel. Then, starting with a low Q, turn the gain wheel under the zero starting from small decrements (-1.5/-2) or more. If needed I increase the Q value.

- Bassoon: the attack is really hard on almost all notes. Its a matter of samples? if that try adding some linear attack in increments of 10ms at time until you reach an more sweet attack.

As always they are just personal impressions, so...

keep on it, I like your ideas.

Luca

Thanks for the feedback guys....!

So we have 1 crisper snare, and 1 duller move it back snare??? Huh?

J/K

Fred --- Mid cut... oh yeah? I already cut it a lot.. maybe I should cut it more. Wide panning? I can see that, although I think wide works better for film. Maybe not a regular mix.

I'm using QLSO, VSL, and SISS on this.

Jonathan --- Maybe I just need more cello...

Luca--- thanks, but you're now banned. [joke]

First, I have to ask this question to qualify your comment: Are you a film composer or concert composer?

So anyway. Yeah, I know what you mean with the percussion, it's not "correct". But I like it closer sounding. Well, I generally don't like the hall / theater sound, I like a closer "in your face" mix. But your point is taken... (I figured some people wouldn't like that about this mix)

Nope, no use of a stereo enhancer.

I feel you need some legato and attack adjusting on strings at the beginning and on counterpoint staccato lines.
    I don't understand what you mean there. You mean the attack is too "slow"? And what exactly is it about the staccato?

Also you can try to obtain a more rounded sound with eq.
    I can sure "try". Are you referring to the entire mix there, or a specific element.

Bassoon: Yeah I can see that. Maybe I rushed it a bit...

Luca, where can I hear one of your mixes. Just wanna 'hear' where you're coming from.

Thanks guys!

KID-

Oh crap, just listened again... I did need a 'drastic' cut at around 800 Hz (actually -4.7 db at 959Hz).... you know why? My mastering plug was set to "inactive". Oops!!! that was to be the cut I was referring to...

I thought it sounded "different" than I remembered...

I may as well fix some other stuff too...

KID-

Hey Kid,

after you banned me...

well, please I dont want to be misunderstood. I never said I'm a mix master, I'm a mix dummie, really. I just talked about my personal likes.
    About your question, about how i qualify myself, I have some trouble just to qualify myself as a simple composer....go figure film or concert composer

About listening my music, i never had the time to setup a single page with pieces. Most of older stuff can be reached in my previous posts. There are, after a while i didnt, a few very small pieces in a new post, to avoid hijacking your post.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...777#post216777

Ciao
    Luca

Luca,

You're still here, I thought I banned you? Ok, fine, you can stay...

Yes, I knew you were just giving your opinion. (and no hard feelings on my end about that). I was just trying to get a feel for what you like in 'your' mixes (besides, I like hearing people's work anyway ). I tend to notice some Euro composers like more of the Hall/Theater type sound (pretty far back), where I like it a little more dry and up front. Although, i don't wanna go too dry... trying to find a balance is all.

By hearing your music I may know more about what you are referring to... (so that wasn't a challenge of some sort, not that you thought it was, just say'n )

As far as hijacking the thread... hey, no one else is in here but you and I, so hijack away!!!

I'll have a listen to your stuff after dinner...

Oh, I did a quick re-mix of my cue... I think that's gonna be the best I can get it to sound. It may be better, or may not. But I don't like spending too long. I'd rather move on and do better next time.

http://www.lofinksound.com/Fireworks...Lake_page.html

^re-mix^

thanks Luca!

KID-

Heck I'm just a simpleton but I thought it sounded pretty good, close up percussion and all.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Thanks Sharmy...!

Depth -- you mean push the whole thing back, or just the percussion?

Panning -- the left side mostly, correct?

I'll take one more swipe at it...

Thanks Mark!

KID-

Go Back to forum