• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: More on Macs crackles......

Share/Bookmark

More on Macs crackles......

I have started a test with GPO with a short Benjamin Britten piece for strings. I have discovered some strange behaviore regarding crackles and interrupted audio. The piece contains 10 instruments and I am using 2 players. Everything is made in Finale on a Mac Dual 1Ghz. 2 Gb ram

1. When I started everything sounded ok when I only had the cellos left to put in. Then the noise started. And it didn´t matter if I muted the cellos, it still was crackling. Even if I only played 1 instrument it crackled! It seems that when it has started it doesn´t matter what I do. It will always be there.

2. I restarted everything and set the ambience quality/cpu to a very low value. Now it sounded better. I compared it by setting the value to max. and it was off course impossible to listen to. So I changed the value to the lower one again and suddenly it was crackling there too. So again it seems that when it starts it continue.

3. I tested the new record to file. It was crackling and interrupting, but when I opened and played the AIFF-file the crackles were gone exept for some pizzicatos!!

I think this behavior is very strange. Any guru that can give an explanation?

Björn

Re: More on Macs crackles......

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    I have discovered some strange behaviore regarding crackles and interrupted audio. Everything is made in Finale on a Mac Dual 1Ghz. 2 Gb ram

Björn
    I am not a guru, but I have "seen" such strange behavior too. My set is a Mac G4, 1.42GHz, OSX 10.2.8, beginning with 0.5 G and now at 1.5 G. I use exclusively GPO Studio with Ambiance and Overture.
    1. I had a piece for harp and string orchestra. Playing the piece with Overture showed some cracks at the first time, but replaying it made the cracks disappeared. This was observed regularly.
    2. With another piece, I observed some cracks too, but they disappeared after recording the AIFF files and playing it with i-tunes.

No explanation however! I am still waiting a good samaritan able to explain this.

Louis

Cool Re: More on Macs crackles......

did you observed this behavior with other pieces?
    Can you share just the GPO studio setup and some measures of the midi file so that other mac-PC users can test it and report if they find the same behavior?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crr
    did you observed this behavior with other pieces?
    Can you share just the GPO studio setup and some measures of the midi file so that other mac-PC users can test it and report if they find the same behavior?
    thanks
    I have observed this with two pieces (with different set-ups); maybe it is just a question of set-ups and composition (tutti!?).
    I'll prepare that during the week-end (sooner if I can find some time) and maybe I'll experiment things around the same idea. Until today, I thought I was the only one and that maybe, I was victim of auditive hallucinations.
    Louis

This has happened to me too while running GPO Studio with Finale. It only occured once. And after I listened a few times to the AIFF file in I-Tunes without crackling, I began to doubt that I heard them at all when using record to file. Strange.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    This has happened to me too while running GPO Studio with Finale. It only occured once. And after I listened a few times to the AIFF file in I-Tunes without crackling, I began to doubt that I heard them at all when using record to file. Strange.

Jeff
    In my case there are no doubts. There are often more crackling than music.
    But it´s random. Very strange.

Björn

I can join this crackle club.....I have a power Dual 1.25 / 2GB Ram,dedicated to Cubase SX, Sibelius and before also to GPO. But I never could get enough voices without problems, especially while using Sibelius. So Now I did put GPO on a PC 2.8 GH / 2 GB RAM and use it with V-STack and the full version of Kontakt. The MIDI is transmitted by Midi Over Lan, with Cubase I use System Link. Until now (Knock on wood....) NO PROBLEMS! It does work fine.

Iwan

I just wanted to add a voice to the chorus.

I was using Sibelius/GPO on a G4 laptop(1 GHz & 1 GIG ram) with great success as long as I stuck to small number of instruments.

After upgrading to the new iMac G5(1.8GHz & 2 GIGS ram) I'm getting what could fairly be called depressing results.

I can run 3 solo instruments and maybe 7 solo strings fairly cleanly.

When I attempted a string arrangement using only 6 string sections(v1, v2, vla, vcl, Cb) it became instant sonic mayhem.

Same string arrangement made up of 16 solo instruments, again mayhem.

When I look at this brand new computer with 2 gigs of ram which is all unreturnable I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. My best hope is that I'm missing some fundamental piece in the puzzle.

Any hints from the pros will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(Soundcard is a Tascam US-122 and buffer sizes are set to 512)

Crackles here too.

loaded separate string and woodwind instances:
    1 instance
    cellos lush
    Violins lush
    violas short/sus

2nd instnce
    flute
    oboe
    eng horn

Logic 7
    1GHz Titanium Powerbook
    1GB RAM
    M-Audio FW 410
    Lacie FW 800 ext HD

It's not too often but it does crackle enough for me to think "Hey, my piece is crackling again."

For the vast majority of users everything seems to be working smoothly.
    It seems some people are experiencing snap, crackle, pops and others are not. The new updates seem to be working fine and some people have reported improved performance with GPO

However, as reported from these threads, some are experiencing difficulties. It seems that the people the most problems have slower Mac processors. There appears to be a direct correlation between processor speed and performance.

Although the updates may have performance improvements, this seems to be offset by the complex programming. The new updates have many patches that are more demanding because of this programming. Keyswitched and Aggressive instruments in particular require more resources.

Some obvious things to check:

• Make sure your soundcard is set to 16bit 44.1khz. If the soundcard settings differ than unwanted noise will result.
    • Make sure you use only "dry" instruments. Wet instruments use individual Kontakt reverbs which required more CPU.
    • The Ambience reverb and other plugs/programs that may be running simulataneously may be recourse hungry. Adjust the quality settings or if you have lighter alternatives give those a try.Raise the buffers as high as possible. Low buffers are the greatest culprit of crackles.
    • And make sure "auto-convert to 32 bit" is not enabled.
    • Using DFD may be tougher on the processor and it is better to use RAM.
    For people with slower processors, I would recommend reverting back to the previous version. I will take these comments and forward them to Native Instruments and see what suggestions they have.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum