• Register
  • Help

Topic: DFD help

DFD help

Okay... I already get the idea that DFD is not recommended (but my computer is maxed out with RAM and its not enough. Can anyone help me get started with the new DFD extention on the Kontakt Player. I already installed it and I can see it on the options dialog box.... but I have no idea how to actually use it. It sounded like was supposed to come with a ReadMe... I never did find that thing so... If any of you could post the read me, give me suggestions, or point out some online tutorials on using this new extention with GPO... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Re: DFD help

I'll take a crack at it:

1) Click on the "Active" button. That will turn the thing on.
    2) For "Preload Buffer Size," start with a value of 500 or so.
    3) For "Voice Buffer Size," start with 600.
    4) "Reserved Voices" probably should be 256 to start, since you'll probably have lots of instruments playing at the same time.
    5) Turn on "Bypass Disk Cache."
    6) Click on the "Apply" button at the top.

What's going on when you use DFD is that the Kontakt engine only preloads a portion of the samples. How much is preloaded is determined by the settings you set above, most notably the buffer size parameters. Then the other samples are loaded when the player needs them. Since the player is nice enough to tell you how much memory you're using with your current settings, I'd increase the buffer size settings until you've used all the memory you can stomach. I have used GPO with DFD and I can tell you it works, but your system really needs to be more I/O capable (i.e., faster disk access) for it to work smoothly, so the more memory you use for sample storage the better. Memory access is always faster than disk access.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

I get errors (alert boxes) saying that a specific part of the multisample cannot be loaded or something like that... I didn't write the exact message down but it occurs toward the end of loading. This happens when I want to open the presets in GPO studio for use with overture while using the DFD settings you suggested.

My specs: Win XP, 2.4gHz, 768mb RAM

Maybe if you told me what each section of the DFD options box actually means, I'll be able to adjust it for my computer (because your settings may be good for you, but not for my PC).

Also, no one knows of any help files or readme files that could help me with DFD? Man... I wish I had room for more RAM so I wouldn't have to go through this....

At this point I'm assuming it can't load samples 'cuz it's running low on memory. Try cutting the buffer settings ("Preload Buffer Size" and "Voice Buffer Size,") in half and see what happens. You might want to cut the reserved voices in half too (new setting 128). If you're currently getting errors towards the end then you should be able to make it through with the new settings. I got the following from the Native Instruments knowledgebase. That should help answer the rest of your question.
    Question: I am getting audible artifacts (clicks) when using the DFD extension and Kontakt. What can I do to optimize my system? Are there any settings that would be better?

Answer: Direct from Disk (DFD) streaming is way to play samples directly from your hard drive instead of loading/playing them directly from available computer memory (RAM). But because the samples are played from disk does not imply that computer memory is not a factor. Due to hard drive latency (access time) and soundcard latency, there will always be a small amount of the sample that will need to be loaded into RAM. The time between when the sample is played from RAM and the time it starts from disk is known as a "preload buffer".

There is another buffer involved too. This buffer is for the hard disk. It needs a place to store the information it is reading, this buffer is dependent on how many voices you plan to play together. If the maximum ployphony is 100 voices, then you need 100 of these buffers. Therefore, they are called "voice buffers".

You can also choose the number of voices you wish to apply to DFD. Restricting the polyphony allows you to choose higher buffer sizes and thus achieve better performance. Less voices saves RAM.

Hard disk considerations:

-a defragmented hard drive helps to keep average seek time smaller.

-smaller access times (4ms) yield better performance, especially for larger instruments and libraries.

-many standard desktop hard drives offer 7200rpm and 10ms seek times, this may not be good enough to stream 150-250 stereo voices (300-500 mono) out of large libraries.

-the best possible performance is still achieved with the disk connected directly to the main internal controller of the motherboard.

-a hard drive that is separate from the the Operating System drive will yield better results.

Final considerations:

RAM is crucial no mattter what, but it depends on what instruments you want to use. 1GB should be enough. 2GB should be used for large libraries

DFD settings are not exact, each setup is different; therefore, a little experimentation with the above mentioned settings is also required to achieve best performance.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Go Back to forum