• Register
  • Help

Topic: Joy to the World

Joy to the World

Hi all

The composer Michael Starke has given me permission to try his composition based on Joy To The World, with GPO. His composition is really fantastic and I've tried my best to do it well with GPO, but my skills are limited. Any comments will be welcome.

Hope you enjoy it though.

Re: Joy to the World

Nice work! The orchestration starts out kind of plain, though, and there's not too much percussion (though that's not a bad thing, I guess!), but this probably has to do with Michael Stark's decisions when composing?

However, besides that, it's beautiful piece! So much counterpoint and countermelody, I could never compose like that! I especially like the ending. (Not because that's when it's over . . . . . . but because it sounds really good!) Thanks for sharing, gotta love that GPO harpsichord!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Joy to the World

Overall very nice baroque feeling in it, though there were some points which were little strange and probably wouldn't been done by baroque composers.
    Just for a little example, the timpani part was not convincing - then I mean stylistically.

But I had fun to listen to the arrangement and it was quite good.

Now Louis, you did a very fine job on the programming however I find the mix too dry. Always when I listen to hymns and you know religious pieces then I expect a cathedral acoustic or at least church acoustic.

Keep up the good work you both.

my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Joy to the World

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    and there's not too much percussion (though that's not a bad thing, I guess!),
    Heeeeyyyyyy, I resent that statement!

I liked this a lot! This is a nice arrangement one I've never heard before. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Joy to the World

Wow...this piece really shows off the woodwinds (in my opinion) and just flat out demonstrates (again!) how versatile this GPO library is. I would have NEVER thought to do the woodwinds that way and yet they just totally add to the piece.

Thanks for opening my mind yet once more!!

Now I gotta get downstairs and get mine done. Heh.
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Go Back to forum