• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to detach instruments by midi?

Share/Bookmark

How to detach instruments by midi?

I use GS3 on a separate PC and call different instruments via midi program changes from my sequencer-PC. Works fine for me. But I didn't find a way to detach instruments again via midi. As a workaround I created an instrument with a silent wave, which is called by program change on the needed chanel. But this is not the solution. Can you help me?

remah

Re: How to detach instruments by midi?

Why would you need to detach?

I don't think there's any way other than what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Why would you need to detach?
    Because I "play" the instruments of GS3 with up to four keyboards. Each keyboard sends on two different chanels (it is a pipe-organ console for my Notre Dame de Budapest organ ) Sometimes I want to play only one instrument and sometimes two on one of those keyboards (i.e. to stack two organstops). So I must be able to mute (or detach) instruments. My workaround (the silent instrument) works but it is not the perfect way since I believe there must be a "midi-way" to detach instruments from certain midichanels. Unfortunately I don't know how.

remah

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

There's no MIDI specification for detaching instruments.

Your single silent sample dummy instrument sounds like the very best plan. If you put the sample out of keyboard range, you will not have a performance hit.

For what it is worth, I don't know of any MIDI instrument which would have a "no sound" patch loadable by MIDI command. But I would agree with you that GigaStudio makes some solution desirable in a live setting.

I would love to see automated mute groups, like the ones on a live-mixing board. Those in turn could be assigned MIDI program numbers, and could automate a whole bunch of things!!

The other option is to set the volume (CC#7) or expression (CC#11) to zero.

-JF

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

you take the polyphony hit with that method, though....

Go Back to forum