• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: In need of best overall Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

In need of best overall Orchestra

Hey there,

I just want your opinions on the absolute best overall orchestra library, because i need one, and cant make up my mind..price is not a problem...at all.

Thanks!

Re: In need of best overall Orchestra

Get them alltogether, 10 PCs and another 10 G5s and you're set. For today.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Hey there,

I just want your opinions on the absolute best overall orchestra library, because i need one, and cant make up my mind..price is not a problem...at all.

Thanks!
    No such thing unless you do what most do and have several libraries and use the strengths of each: VSL Pro, VSL Epic Horns, the entire SAM Brass Library, SAM True Strike, EWQLSO Platinum, Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings, Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass, KH Solo Strings, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Voices of the Apocalypse, Symphony of Voices, etc.

Actually PolarBear's advice isn't too far off. You said absolute best so get a Mac G5 to run Pro Tools HD to help mix it all and at least ten rackmounted VisionDAW PCs and perhaps you'll be set for the next three months

Yep - they said it.

BUT - reality is price probably is a problem and you didn't mean you could spend $50k on a new setup.

Most people on here (including me) would agree that you can't go wrong for the $250 price of Garritan Personal orchestra. I have several other libs and find myself more often than not reaching to Garritan because of the Ease of USE. It's so easy to use it's pathetic, and to me that's important becasue I can write quickly. Then if I need to polish things up a bit I do so with a more expensive library. The sound of GPO is fine for 99% of situations. In a pop track the strings sound as good as any. In most mockup situations they're great too.

HOWEVER, because the size of the library is so limited, as are articulations etc... another library to balance it out would be handy. EWQLSO gold is the 2nd lib I would suggest.

If you need more than these 2 libs then you're going to be spending much more and you should really do some searches on here to see what others have said about each. Everybody kind of has their own preference as to which one they like and why they like it. To each his own.

any opinions on VSL?

any opinions on VSL?
    If you're good at mixing I cannot recommend VSL enough. Makes a great foundation you can build on with other great libs imo.

VSL is great for certain applications - if you're great at mixing it's very flexible. If you want to spend that much money and you're not great at mixing, I'd suggest EWQLSO Silver. My problem with VSL is it's just so big, and there's so many samples I find myself digging for stuff more than actually working. I like GPO because I can find what I want quickly and get to making music.

I break it down like this: If you want to spend your day working with samples get VSL and have fun - it would be fun.

if you want to spend your day writing music - use something simple so you can focus on the music, then go back and play with samples all day.

Now a lot of people on here will disagree with what I've just said, but that's my take.

The other thing to consider is format - I will say if you're doing intense orch stuff and want to have a dependable computer system, I still think Giga does a better job streaming from disk and handling all the samples once they're loaded than Kontakt does. I love kontakt and use it way more than giga, but for huge files giga still works better. So with that in mind, you may be happier with VSL simply because it loads into Giga and you could get better performance. I've got EWQLSO Gold and when I get a lot of stuff going Kontakt has a few issues. For a full orch I can't depend on Gold alone on one Dual G5... but others would also disagree with that. It's all subjective...... depends on what "is" is

J-

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    If I had to have only one lib to do orchestral music i'd choose VSL as it covers almost anything i could think of writing articulation wise. I would however miss so much great stuff from other libs.

Ditto that.....

KID-

Holst

Just check this out on VSL. If only one Library, on a desert island (have to have power ofcourse ) - this library would be it.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Smile Re: In need of best overall Orchestra

Hey there,

Thanks!
    I think you can go in two directions -

VSL + Kirk Hunter Concert Strings to supplement (allows for more full lush strings arrangements) - see www.kirkhunter.com

EW/QLSO Gold + Kirk Hunter Concert Strings (supplements and blends well).

Even with VSL, I would supplement percussion with QLSO Percussion, and on shipping, True Strike from Project Sam.

If I were to add in additional strings, for VSL I would GOS (because of the effects and other benefits) and for QLSO I would factor in SISS since it's also recorded with musicians in their onstage position.

Finally, if money is REALLY no object - I need a minivan.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum