• Register
  • Help

Topic: quality of Theodore Presser 's scores cd-roms ?

Share/Bookmark

quality of Theodore Presser 's scores cd-roms ?

Can anyone tell me something, pro or con, about the quality of Theodore Presser 's score cd-roms ?
    At 1st glance, they seem attractive (not very expensive, a lot of pieces per cd, and in pdf format), and there are about 10 of them which may really interest me.
    But I would purchase from Europe, so I'd like to make a grouped order, because doing so I would save on shipping...
    So, before, I'd really like to know about the quality of those cds (accuracy of chosen scores, "cleanness" of scan....).
    Has someone here purchased some of them ?
    Thanks in advance !

Re: quality of Theodore Presser 's scores cd-roms ?

I have purchased the Bach "Complete Church Cantatas" and the Verdi Operas "Complete Vocal Scores". The cantatas were a little disappointing because they are keyboard reductions: that is not clear on the front of the label, though it is on the back if I had looked more carefully.

Both sets are reasonably clear scans from older printed music. Not better than an old printed score, but usually not worse -- I've run across only a few really bad scans. It ends up being almost impossible to use these on a computer screen, for me, so I have printed some of the works in which I had an interest -- resulting in great piles of paper and occasional printing mishaps which waste even more paper. Every page has their copyright notice in giant type, which is a little annoying.

So -- the sets are indeed a bargain, and I don't regret buying mine, but they are far from as wonderful as they seemed at first.

The 'Aida' vocal score, for instance, comes in 6 pdf files, ranging in size from 3 to 6 megabytes.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Gugliel,
    well, I suppose that at this price one cannot ask for too much.
    But it still may be more convenient than dover publications, where staves and notes are so tiny and for really good eyes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    Thank you Gugliel,
    well, I suppose that at this price one cannot ask for too much.
    But it still may be more convenient than dover publications, where staves and notes are so tiny and for really good eyes only.

Do you mean the Dover printed or Dover on a CD? I have some Dover albums, Schubert, and others, and find them decent. But for legiblity, by far the best is Henle, with Peters running second. (Possible opinion here?)

I have one cd and some downloaded scores, and the quality is sad. I am not likely to try this route again. Even though my vision corrects well, I have always had difficulty in resolving small things tightly packed, like some of the scores I have read. Some can be quite good, even if small, but most are not.

Reminds me of how I used to realize that it was time for a change of glasses. When singing in a choir, I had to read the music from the person in front of me.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Do you mean the Dover printed or Dover on a CD?
    Richard
    I mean the dover miniature score, which are very affordable, and reasonably good in quality, but very small.....
    since yesterday, I found this adress (thanks to a search on this forum, in fact), and I subscribed :
    http://www.digitalmusiclibrary.com/
    They have a big choice, and what I already dowloaded seems good enough for home use.
    And the price is very affordable !
    The downside is they lack some major composers, like Mahler, for example.
    Anyone knowing another library of this this kind, which would complement the one above ?

Go Back to forum