• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Running GPO on the new iMac G5's" thread reborn

Share/Bookmark

"Running GPO on the new iMac G5's" thread reborn

Anyone trying out GPO on the new iMac G5 - notes & comments on how things perform will be greatly appreciated. I will probably be trying it soon and running it exclusively with Sibelius, as I'm a person who thrives on simplicity.

To chmara -

questions and a note - if/when you add ram to your system, I'd be curious to know how things perform. Also, is your system 1.6 or 1.8 GHz? I haven't made the move on a new computer yet and am wondering how close it will bring me to full performance.

Since the iMacs are only offered in 1.6 or 1.8 GHz and max out at 2 gigs ram, the question becomes whether to live with my current system til the next generation arrives.

Thanks

Re: "Running GPO on the new iMac G5's" thread reborn

One could wait and hope that NI recodes the kontakt player for decent performance with Macs. You just have to check out the system requirements for the PC vs Mac with Sampletank2 or Apples audio plug-in test to see there is a big problem here. I believe if you are going to do something then do it right or somebody else will. Enough said.

I posted this information on another 'crackles' thread also, but I wanted to give it as an update on my original question about the iMac G5's.

I went ahead and bought the 1.8GHz version and results so far aren't so good.

I previously was using Sibelius/GPO on a G4 laptop(1 GHz & 1 GIG ram) with great success as long as I stuck to small number of instruments.

After upgrading to the new iMac G5(1.8GHz & 2 GIGS ram) I'm getting what could fairly be called depressing results.

I can run 3 solo instruments and maybe 7 solo strings fairly cleanly.

When I attempted a string arrangement using only 6 string sections(v1, v2, vla, vcl, Cb) it became instant sonic mayhem.

Same string arrangement made up of 16 solo instruments, again mayhem.

When I look at this brand new computer with 2 gigs of ram which is making ugly noises I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. My best hope is that I'm missing some fundamental piece in the puzzle.

Any hints from the pros will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Soundcard is a Tascam US-122 and buffer sizes are set to 512

This morning's update on playback problems(read: disaster):

I recorded a string arrangement using 9 string instruments, divided into 5 sections. As soon as all five sections come in together playback sounds hideous, but if I record in GPO Studio and play back in iTunes it all sounds fine.

I know next to nothing about computers, but this would seem like an enormous clue. Could my soundcard(Tascam US-122 USB) be the culprit?

Thanks

This appears to be a common occurence.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26624

To chmara -

questions and a note - if/when you add ram to your system, I'd be curious to know how things perform. Also, is your system 1.6 or 1.8 GHz? I haven't made the move on a new computer yet and am wondering how close it will bring me to full performance.

Since the iMacs are only offered in 1.6 or 1.8 GHz and max out at 2 gigs ram, the question becomes whether to live with my current system til the next generation arrives.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I went with 1.8 and just put on 2nd Gig ram (3rd party only $300 a gig) and have been running up a new Logic 7 with some new sounds/synths and GPO. No major problems yet --- but I am waiting for replacement of a disc three from Gary -- mine was damaged.

Tonight -- for kix I added Stylus RMX (very hip-hop stuff) with an eye to seeing if I can slice and dice some stuff into it with GPO -- but running through its samples I am going to have to search for some Rex of Akai samples of a mellower pit orchestras rythms (Broadway style) bent to get it to work. Has anyone got some WALTZ rythms in percussion?

So far the best solution I have for the crazy idea of BIAB with GPO ties is through midi lines -- via a sequencer ( other than BIAB's MS/IBM Clone only version) for we Macheads.

BTW the 20" G5 I Mac in the easiest intall and working I have ever had. And with tri-focals I can almopst read the type on the Logic Tracks.

So my quest to make automatically generated music seem un-automatic will continue.....but I am sure like the grail it will do me as much good as it did King Arthur.

GC

Thumbs up Re: "Running GPO on the new iMac G5's" thread reborn

pguree
    check your system (the energy saver option in System Preference, repair the permissions, ..). I'm running GPO on a powerbook 1.33 GHz and i'm working with an entire orchestra (reducing to 10% the reverber quality) with almost no problems.
    Check in the GPO website

http://www.garritan.com/troubleshooting.html

If you can't fix the problem, try to talk with Gary

pgurnee,
    NI has a support form you can fill out for assistance. I left one with my problems and questions. If the Kontakt player is where the problem centers from then NI is the place to explain your problem in detail.

Also run your activity monitor which is in the utilities folder and track the CPU usage. And make sure your dimms are matched if they are third party memory. The imac G5 gets a speed boost with matched dimms. And as crr posted set the energy saver to highest performance. This will make a huge difference.

Your imac G5 Should be able to load many more samples than a PowerBook 1.33.

Thanks to all for tips, it seems like I'll be granted the opportunity to try every fix in the book.

The one which so far seems to have made the most difference is changing the energy saver/processor performance to highest. That one change has made the biggest improvement in performance.

I had also spoken to Sibelius tech support and was told to upgrade to 3.1.1, and then to 3.1.3, to turn of smoothing(under the view menu) and to change background & paper textures to color. Sibelius 3(I just upgraded from 2) is now running more gracefully.

Thanks again

Great news as I was planning on eventually buying a iMac G5. You may want to try NI's support form. I used it and received a prompt reply but I think my problem is strictly CPU power. The Powerbooks seem to be much better with GPO. Apple is notorious for crippling the lines(Klaus's Spanning Doctor, ha, ha). I also have the Tascam US-122 but have not used it yet with GPO. I don't think 24 bit audio has much to do with though. Go into the Apple audio/midi utility, select audio and make sure 2ch-16 bit is selected in Format. You can see if your dimms are paired by using Apples system profiler in the utilities folder. In the upper left click on memory and to the right it will show you what you have. They should be exactly the same. I have also seen tests that show the iMac G5 1.8 speedmark is about the same as the original Powermac 1.8 SP G5 so you do have some power there.

Go Back to forum