• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The big difference with electronic voting

Share/Bookmark

The big difference with electronic voting

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    So far a lot of threads on the electronic voting debacle. A lot of those who voted for the monkey seem to bring up the defence that "there have always been problems" even with paper voting.

There is, however, one huge difference. Paper voting systems have traditionally been administered by civil servants, and every step of the way the process has been scrutinized by representatives of BOTH parties. If a paper ballot-counter wanted to just throw away a thousand democract or republican votes, they couldn't do it. This is not to say that problems have never occured - of course they have - but the protections againsts such problems are roughly equal.

Contrast that with a Diebold voting machine. Who scrutinizes the electronic path from touchscreen to hard disk? Who certifies that the software is working correctly, that proper procedures are in place to prevent fraud? Diebold do. And Diebold, being a corporation, will support the monkey.

This is the real difference. Not that electronic voting is more or less accurate than paper voting, but that the change from one to the other has been used to mask another change - from two-sided scrutiny to putting all the trust in a few (right-leaning) private interests. That's abominable. I don't know how anyone, of the left OR right, can think that's an acceptable way to run a democracy.

Just out of interest, what actually ARE the procedures for scrutiny and verification of these machines, if in fact there are any?

Re: The big difference with electronic voting

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    Just out of interest, what actually ARE the procedures for scrutiny and verification of these machines, if in fact there are any?
    There is none. The only kinds of checks they do is look at the maintenance logs to make sure they're functioning "properly." The companies involved will not allow anyone to look at code or anything else. So, basically, our voting has been privatized.

But here's what happens. The votes the machines tally are sent via modem to a central processor. They can only print out the totals, and not the individual votes, so there's no way to verify if the totals are correct.

Even if the totals ARE correct, the security built into the system is SO weak that even the worst hacker could hack into the central system through one of many backdoors and change votes as easily as changing numbers on a spreadsheet.

I just saw a video of Bev Harris showing Howard Dean this very process and how easy it is. It is CHILLING.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    So far a lot of threads on the electronic voting debacle. A lot of those who voted for the monkey seem to bring up the defence that "there have always been problems" even with paper voting.
    We got TONS of votes for Republican, House, Senate and Governorships on paper ballots!

WHERE THEY WRONG TOO?

Aside from losing your political soul and moderate middle, you guys lost allot more than the White House. MOST OF WHICH from paper ballots!!

Here's one example; the fine day I RAN (literally RAN) to the poll to:

PUNCH A PAPER BALLOT TO KICK DEMOC-RAT GRAY DAVIS OUT

One more time: For 35+ plus years the Dems have been artists at stealing votes and the response from you guys?

The crickets’ where chirping so loud it was deafening!

Listen you little worm! It's about who got more votes and the electoral college. You are pathetic little dishonest moron. Get back to work. The toilet's overflowing. Kerry won and I pray that someone does something about this.

Nick,

Just for that, you deserve more business!

I promise I'm putting one of your products on my next shopping spree!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by NickPoenix
    Listen you little worm! It's about who got more votes and the electoral college. You are pathetic little dishonest moron. Get back to work. The toilet's overflowing. Kerry won and I pray that someone does something about this.
    Again with a toilet fetish. You need therapy & are obviously dillusional, but most of all you are a:

50 million (the Republicans) are wrong and stupid, unimaginative, unhappy, afraid and the lowest income earners and therefore the real losers.

Let's hear it for the United States of Canada!!!

>>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Wher do I sign up?

As Midiphase has shown you. Our (Canada's) plan for world domination is finally starting to take shape. Prepare for a polite and understanding full out assault with canoes, and the lightning fast portage tactic.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast