• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: RMX- several questions...no access to manaul

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy RMX- several questions...no access to manaul

I have Stylus and Stylus RMX. For a couple of reasons, I cannot play a DVD or video file on my computer and hear the music (this is by choice and the video manual of RMX is the first time this has created a problem.) So, I have RMX and not a clue about how to use it.... so a few questions.

1) I read that Stylus and Stylus RMX are so different you may want to keep both of them on your computer...... is that true, or should I delete Stylus?

2) Since I can't "hear" the video tutorials, I don't know how to open the midi files. I am wondering however, if RMX is looking in the wrong place for them. When I hit the little folder icons, nothing shows up. Also, unlike with Triology or Atmosphere, there is nothing listed in the box between the "easy" and folder icon, directly under "Stylus RMX." When I go to some type of page that says directory etc. there is nothing there and browsing to the RMX data doesn't seem to show anything. (an examination of the Sage folder on a second hard drive indicates 7+ gigs of data in a folder and there is a shortcut from this sage folder in the same directory as the RMX dll file.

3) I was wondering if the presence of Stylus was messing up RMX's ability to "see" it's data. However, when I looked at Spectramove, it did not have RMX as a choice. Hence my questions about the value of having Stylus and RMX on the same machine. Should I use the Stylus portion of spectramove to point RMX to the data?

4) Finally, not a question.... but I sure hope they put out a manual. I messed a little with Stylus, but ordered it mostly because of RMX (and my general appreciation for Spectrasonics soft synths). But without a manual, RMX may be a little over my head.

TIA
    Never wrestle in the mud with a pig.
    You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Re: RMX- several questions...no access to manaul

it's a shame you can't view the tuts, they are very informative and entertaining as well. Watching Eric get down and groove with it is worth the price of the upgrade alone. His joy becomes infectious. :-)

1. Everything in stylus is in rmx so yes, you could get rid of it... however, any old songs with stylus would have to be first switched over to RMX in case you ever want to go back and retweek anything.

2. I had to redo my install because I too couldn't get an alias to work for me. Do a custom install and tell the installer to steer the sample material to where you want it to live then leave it alone. Unlike the old stylus there is more in there than just the single monolithic .dat file. it's a whole new file/folder structure that RMX needs to access.

3. It shouldn't. Spectramove sounds like you may be on a PC... in which case the custom install may not be available, if so... oops sorry. :-)

4. They are working on a manual now. In the meantime head over to the yahoo spectrasonics site. Eric and Mr Olander respond fairly quickly there and it's probably the best place for answers vis-a-vis RMX. Also there is already an update to version 1.0.5 I believe.

good luck and don't worry, once you get it up and running you'll be in hogs heaven

cb

Thanks for the replies. Will delete Stylus now and see if I can "point" RMX to the correct data.

The decision to not use my music computer for things like DVDs etc. has never been a problem (until now.) I kinda doubt that I will change everything just to watch these tutorials, but they probably are good.

Take Care

Oh you've got to watch the tutorials. Not only are they a hundred times more bearable than leafing through a manual but its worth it just to hear one of the guys say "Groove menu midi mode" a few dozen times
    Trev Parks

Quote Originally Posted by christianb

1. Everything in stylus is in rmx so yes, you could get rid of it... however, any old songs with stylus would have to be first switched over to RMX in case you ever want to go back and retweek anything.
    cb
    Christian..So are u saying its kosher to remove the old Stylus dat. file (3gb) once RMX is installed? I havent had time to play around with it much but what i checked out was amazing!! Cant wait to dig in ..Rich

hey Rich.
    I bought stylus right before the upgrade. It was just to have a valid registration in order to upgrade to RMX. So yes. In my case, since I hadn't written anything with it , I just deleted the app and the .dat. As long as you make provisions for being able to work on older stylus cues you can lose it. Old Stylus will not find the new samples from the RMX install however. Of this I am reasonably sure.

cb

Do you have access to any other computer to view the tutorials? It doesn't have to be on your main music computer.

spectrum

My only other access is at work..... unfortunately, I am usually working.... but I also had that thought. I did delete Stylus but nothing is showing up in the menus yet. So I think it is not pointed at the data correctly. I ran Spectramove, but since the Stylus data is in several chunks.... wasn't sure exactly what to point it to. Will try deleting Stylus from the registry and another install to see if that helps.

Any advice or suggestions will be/are appreciated.

Take Care

Hi rjt,

If you have a DVD burner or know someone who does, you can possibly create a DVD of the tutorials that will play on a regular DVD player provided you have the software that can do that. Do you have a DVD player connected to your tv? Perhaps that would work.

FV

p.s. - The tutorials are the best thing I've ever seen to learn how to use software. After watching them, you can go right in and get down to work. It makes it much easier to figure out how to use it instead of reading a manual (which many of us hardly ever do unless we're looking for something specific). HTH,
    FV

Go Back to forum