• Register
  • Help

Topic: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Share/Bookmark

Smile O Little Town of Bethlehem

Hi, here's my 2nd arrangement which will be on the GPO holiday CD.

click here

The hymn verses I used.

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie!
    Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.
    Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting Light;
    The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary, and gathered all above,
    While mortals sleep, the angels keep their watch of wondering love.
    O morning stars together, proclaim the holy birth,
    And praises sing to God the King, and peace to men on earth!

How silently, how silently, the wondrous Gift is giv’n;
    So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His Heav’n.
    No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin,
    Where meek souls will receive Him still, the dear Christ enters in.

O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
    Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today.
    We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell;
    O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel!
    Enjoy!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Another beautiful rendition by Falcon and the Snowman.
    A few little things to consider.... the melody starts out with Clarinet for the first line, and then goes into Oboe. Because of the overtones/harmonics that exist in the Clarinet, the first three notes (above thy) of the second line sound wrong, because the Oboe is down an actave from where the Clarient was, but after hearing a few more notes, you realize that the melody has been handed over to a different instrument.
    Maybe the strings "entrance" chord at :42 could come in more gradual
    The transitions to and from the non-vibrato strings in the different areas needs cleaning up. Just my .02 You have a very keen ear and helped me with one of my pieces, so I am being nitpicky with yours Tee Hee you little whippersnapper.

Great job!

DPDan

Talking Re: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Thanks DPDan, yes it takes the ear a little time to knowledge the fact that the melody goes from the Clarinet and to the Bassoon. However, with good players this shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Yes, I agree that there are some parts in strings which sound to rough - I'll fix that tonight.

Thanks for the nitpicking.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

I love this song though!

Hey Falcon,

I love some of the orchestration you have done here, but I feel the main melody is at times completely lost in the arpeggios and (background) melodies you have going on - specially in the beginning of the piece, where the flute is competing for attention with the clarinet and the oboe.

Personally, I'd try to bring out the main melody more. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful job you've done - keep it up!

Jim.
    Jim Offerman
    www.jimofferman.nl

Question Re: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Offerman
    Hey Falcon,

I love some of the orchestration you have done here, but I feel the main melody is at times completely lost in the arpeggios and (background) melodies you have going on - specially in the beginning of the piece, where the flute is competing for attention with the clarinet and the oboe.

Personally, I'd try to bring out the main melody more. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful job you've done - keep it up!

Jim.
    Jim, are you talking about this issue as a mixing one or orchestration/arrangement one?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

After listening a whole bunch of times, I think it's mostly a mixing issue (though a slight simplification of the orchestration could help as well).

I'd place the flute deeper in the mix (it draws to much attention in my ears) and perhaps raise the volume of the instrument that is playing the main melody a bit - just enough to set it slightly apart from the rest of the orchestra. Of course, when another instrument takes over the main melody, the former 'lead' should drop back into the mix. These volume changes should be so small that the listener doesn't even notice them; they should merely allow his brain to unconsciously focus on the main melody.

None of this is written in stone, though - so feel free to disagree

Jim.
    Jim Offerman
    www.jimofferman.nl

Go Back to forum