• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Who here has the goal of being a big time Hollywood composer...?

Share/Bookmark

What's your goal as a composer....?

And what is your plan of attack? Meaning, how do you plan to make this happen, how are you going about conecting the dots?

As well, what is you ultimate goal with this, A-list, B-list, indie C-list?

Just wonderin' where you guys are at....

KID-
    Last edited by kid-surf; 11-06-2004 at 09:25 PM. Reason: didn't like the title...

Re: Who here has the goal of being a big time Hollywood composer...?

i am afraid i won't tell you. otherwise you might come before me then :P *just kiddin*

Kid,

In America, you can have anything you want, just not everything. If your only desire in life is to become a big-time hollywood composer, and you are willing to forgo everything else, then big time composer it shall be! Plan of attack is easy. Focus, persevere, work like a dog, and think and do nothing that does not add to this goal. I honestly believe this and sometimes it can be pretty frightening knowing one can have anything they want. With your talent and drive, my guess is reaching this goal will be easier than you envision.

Can I go with you to the Oscars? I would buy a nice gown, smile appropriately and clap when I'm suppose to.

Talking Re: Who here has the goal of being a big time Hollywood composer...?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    And what is your plan of attack? Meaning, how do you plan to make this happen, how are you going about conecting the dots?

As well, what is you ultimate goal with this, A-list, B-list, indie C-list?

Just wonderin' where you guys are at....

KID-
    Kid.................. Kid..................Kid Kid Kid.

(sighs and thinks)

You ask some of the wierdest questions at times Kid, you really do. I'll take smalltime actually Kid. In fact, I'll take just being able to walk right now. But I like your style Kid, and you're certainly in the right place.....hopefully at the right time. Hahha!

Waywyn- What, I'll I want are some phone numbers... is that too much to ask?

Joanne -- you've got yourself a date. Although we'll be attending for other reasons than my music.... But hey, we can still stroll up the red carpet.

PaulR --- What's so weird about the question? A group of composers, surly some have some sort of aspirations, or is this the end of the line?

But, ya know, I realized that I didn't like the way I posed the initial question so I changed it. I'm trying trying to get a sense of what the heck everyone here is or plans to accomplish through music. Some may look at that as patting one's self on the back, I just look at it as being adult enough to share about yourself.

So, I'll ask again, what's the goal for you all... where do you hope to find yourself in 5 years, ten years... whatever. I just get board of the tech talk is all. (and who the heck reads the OT anyway... )

BTW-- what's the other weird stuff I asked about?

KID-

Post Re: Who here has the goal of being a big time Hollywood composer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Kid,

In America, you can have anything you want, just not everything. If your only desire in life is to become a big-time hollywood composer, and you are willing to forgo everything else, then big time composer it shall be! Plan of attack is easy. Focus, persevere, work like a dog, and think and do nothing that does not add to this goal. I honestly believe this and sometimes it can be pretty frightening knowing one can have anything they want. With your talent and drive, my guess is reaching this goal will be easier than you envision.

Can I go with you to the Oscars? I would buy a nice gown, smile appropriately and clap when I'm suppose to.
    Well put Joanne...

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

With your talent and drive, my guess is reaching this goal will be easier than you envision.
    Oh wow, I skimmed right passed that huge compliment. Was that for me? Thank you Joanne. Now, i'll splurge for a stretch limo too! Pick you up at 6:30....

Honestly, If I pull something off it's due to factors in this order. (and I know it -- but am fine with it--- cuz Hollywood is all smoke and mirrors anyway )

1. My wife's position
    2. My drive
    3. My cute smile
    4. My fingers constantly in the crossed fashion.
    5. My music

See my other thread though, folks, it's more on point.

KID-

All the way baby!

But seriously...I have found that patience, persistence and building relationships with filmmakers and other industry folk are key. Most people give up too easily and if they are not on some big film in a year or two...they quit. I feel I am finally starting to get bigger projects and the one I am one now I am very pleased with. But it takes a while.

Personally I could not see myself doing anything else at this point. If I can make a living doing what I love...I'm in heaven every day. I love working (despite the dealines and seemingly long cue list in front of me).

Remember...one job leads to the next. Don't hang out only with other composers (other than to talk gear). They are competing for the same jobs you are. Build friendships with directors....producers...music supervisors, etc...

Above all...remember that this is a business all about making money from the studio's perspective. It is not about the music...the "art" of it...or anything else. So when music get rejected...you get replaced...or something else happens to discourage you...it is all a decision made about the bottom line. Don't let it discourage you.

If they believe you are their best option to make money for them on said project...they will go with you. If they think ones inexperience on large budget projects is too much of a financial risk...they won't. Hence the importance of friendships with the people who make those decisions. If they know you...your work ethic and most importantly...if they TRUST you...then they will feel better letting you manage a larger budget project. Then, you build a good reputation with your name and credits...and wa-la. Career.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

I don't want to be a "hollywood" composer. I guess my ultimate goal is to just do high-budget indies, because I have heard alot of bad things about doing major films. Of course, I am just happy to have work. My immediate goal is just to move back to L.A., so when I do, we gotta have lunch kid!

James W.G. Smith

And I will always have composer friends, unless they are arrogant or something.

Brian -- thanks for being honest enough to admit it. But yeah, I agree with your take. The way "I" look at it is, my music is mine while I write it (physically in the process) and theirs when it's done...

If "art" happens in Hollywood it's a miracle...

James -- The thing is, most of those higher budget indies go through Hollywood at this point. But yeah, definitely, let's have lunch when you're out here...

KID-

Go Back to forum